Handbook of Giant Magnetostrictive Materials contains the knowledge that a mechanical or an electrical engineer needs when considering the use of magnetostrictive materials in a construction project. The book covers the physical origin of giant magnetostriction, its manufacturing and metallurgy, and grain related processes under operation.
Comprehensive descriptions of useful models of design methods and tools are given, including the performance of devices and systems comprised of magnetostrictive materials, considering the electrical, magnetic, mechanical, and thermal effects. The book covers all major characterization methods of giant magnetostrictive bulk materials, actuators, and systems. A structured inventory of current and emerging applications of giant magnetostrictive materials is given, covering areas such as sound and vibration sources, vibration control, motional control, material processing, and electromechanical converters. The final chapter offers an up-to-date review of the emerging giant magnetostrictive thin film technologies. The book also contains a market inventory with valuable contact information.
* Offers all necessary information for the reader to decide on the applicability of giant magnetostrictive material in a construction
* Allows readers to create their own computational design tools based on the model algorithms given in the book; specific programs are also proposed
* Gives the reader numerous pieces of advice and hints regarding the further details of construction design, pre-and detail engineering
* Provides the reader with information necessary to perform the needed experimental evaluation of materials and actuators in specific applications
* Guides the reader through current and potential areas of successful applications of giant magnetostrive materials
* Supplies the reader with the necessary contact information to act in the field of giant magnetostrictive materials applications