Hibernian Nights' Entertainments Volume 2

Paperback | April 21, 2013

bySir Samuel Ferguson

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1887 edition. Excerpt: ..."I dreamt," replied Hugh Roe, "that I was standing on the rock of Kilmacrenan, and that John Oge MacSweeny, of the Battleaxes, was with me; and somehow I thought that all the mountains of Ireland were visible from the spot where we stood, from the Reeks to Magilligan, and from Croagh Patrick to Ben Edar; but Slieve Gallion stood highest of them all; and I saw Hugh O'Neill and the Kinel Owen arrayed in order of battle, from one side of the mountain to the other; and all the free-towns of Ireland were burning brightly in the plain at their feet. But, after that, the sea came between us,.and I was sailing, I thought, out of the harbour of Killibegs, in company with the Earl and Manus O'Kane; and John Oge, with the fosterers, was standing on the beach wringing his hands and lamenting. God knows what it means; but I think there will bo a blow struck out of Ulster yet, and, by Columb Kill, if I could but see the clans once fairly in the field, I should have little fear of ever crossing the sea against my will again." "I should like well to cross the sea to Spain," said Henry; "I hear that it is a brave country, and we have friends there before us. They say, indeed, that it was out of Spain the old clan Mile came long ago." "I should rather remain in Ireland," said Art; "though indeed I am told that Santacruz and Madrid are pleasant places to live in; but what is it to a man to be among palaces and gardens every day of his life, if he cannot see the faces of his friends and kindred? To my eye there is nothing in nature so lovely as the sight of one's own people?" "And yet," replied Henry, "if our own people were to come and see us now, altered as we are by imprisonment...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1887 edition. Excerpt: ..."I dreamt," replied Hugh Roe, "that I was standing on the rock of Kilmacrenan, and that John Oge MacSweeny, of ...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:54 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.11 inPublished:April 21, 2013Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217484107

ISBN - 13:9780217484107

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Hibernian Nights' Entertainments Volume 2

Reviews