Hidden Like Anne Frank: 14 True Stories of Survival by Marcel PrinsHidden Like Anne Frank: 14 True Stories of Survival by Marcel Prins

Hidden Like Anne Frank: 14 True Stories of Survival

byMarcel Prins, Peter Henk SteenhuisIllustratorLaura Watkinson

Paperback | March 29, 2016

Pricing and Purchase Info

$11.99

Earn 60 plum® points
Quantity:

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Available in stores

about

Fourteen unforgettable true stories of children as they try to escape the Holocaust, now in paperback!

We all read the compelling story of Anne Frank and want to know more: How many others were hidden away during World War II? How and where? Were they separated from their families? Did they ever find each other again? And what was it really like to live in hiding, in constant fear of discovery?

Hidden Like Anne Frank tells the stories of fourteen young people who were hidden throughout the Netherlands during the war. Some were only three or four years old when they went into hiding; some were teenagers. But they all have amazing stories to tell, stories of the brave people who kept them safe; of the pain of separation from their families, their homes, even their own names; of the coincidences that made all the difference. These riveting first-person accounts add a new layer to our understanding of the Holocaust. They help create a wider portrait of what it meant to be Jewish in Europe during World War II. And they leave us with an unforgettable sense of what it took to survive.

Marcel Prins was inspired to create this project by his own mother, who went into hiding in 1942 to escape Nazi persecution. She was just six years old. Marcel Prins is an award-winning documentary filmmaker and cameraman. He lives in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Peter Henk Steenhuis is a journalist and the philosophy editor for the TR...
Title:Hidden Like Anne Frank: 14 True Stories of SurvivalFormat:PaperbackDimensions:240 pages, 8 × 5.27 × 0.51 inPublished:March 29, 2016Publisher:SCHOLASTIC INCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0545543649

ISBN - 13:9780545543644

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Must Read I had low expectations going in which were more then surpassed. I heard of the book a while ago and imagined it like a YA anthology of teens in hiding but not necessarily about the Holocaust. I imagined that it would then be insensitive for that reason but wrote it down to read anyway because I don't like the idea of leaving myself with no way to find books again. But when I found it again and started to read it was incredible. The honesty and humanity to it that was so subtle and yet so poignant. It wasn't overwhelming with how triggering the events could be to read about but still managed to make you feel the agony of it. The fact that you can't always come back from things like that or that your relationships may never be the same. It was amazing. I went through a reading block for a while after this and no wonder because it sat with me so long that it took me a while to recover.
Date published: 2016-12-12

Editorial Reviews

Praise for Hidden Like Anne Frank

A Kirkus Reviews Best Teen Book of 2014

" Like Anne Frank's, these few voices stand out and speak for the millions whose stories remain untold." -New York Times Book Review

*" Each memoir is poignant and heartrending on its own, and the compilation gives the reader a stunning sense of the horror of the Holocaust. Terrifying, haunting and powerful." -Kirkus Reviews, starred review