I am Sophie Tucker: A Fictional Memoir by Susan EckerI am Sophie Tucker: A Fictional Memoir by Susan Ecker

I am Sophie Tucker: A Fictional Memoir

bySusan Ecker, Lloyd Ecker

Hardcover | November 4, 2014

Pricing and Purchase Info

$31.14 online 
$35.99 list price save 13%
Earn 156 plum® points

Prices and offers may vary in store

Quantity:

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Not available in stores

about

Features more than 90 beautiful color and 120 black and white period illustrations.


Part fairy tale, part crime novel, part rags to riches Hollywood myth,I Am Sophie Tuckertells the outrageous story of one of showbiz’s biggest personalities.

From 1906 through the beginning of television, Sophie Tucker and her bawdy, brash, and risqué songs paved the way for performers such as West, Monroe, Midler, Cher, Madonna, and Gaga.

"Sophie was like the Forrest Gump of the first half of the 1900s,” says co-author Susan Ecker. "She was close friends with seven presidents, King George VI, young Queen Elizabeth, Chaplin, J. Edgar, Capone, Garland, Jerry Lewis, Sinatra and every other notable of her era.”

Tucker tried to get her story published for nine years, without success. Undaunted, Sophie hired half a dozen ghostwriters, but she still had no takers for her no holds barred autobiography. Eventually, Doubleday published a sanitized version in 1945.

"After immersing ourselves in Sophie’s papers and surviving friends,” says co-author Lloyd Ecker, "this initial volume is what should have been the actual autobiography of Tucker.”

Though she obsessively documented her life, Sophie loved to exaggerate for dramatic effect. Over the years, she told multiple versions of each important event. At the end, not even Sophie knew the difference between truth and tall tale.

"This volume is 85% fact,” Lloyd explains. "The other 15% who knows?”

I Am Sophie Tuckerputs back all of the delicious bits nixed by Doubleday’s lawyers and throws in other Tucker show business dirt, intrigue, arrests, romance, murder, gangsters, and scandals. Now you can read it for yourself.

In 1973, Ithaca College students Susan Denner and Lloyd Ecker went on their first date to see an up-and-coming new singer named Bette Midler. Over the course of the evening, the couple fell in love with the Divine Miss M., her Sophie Tucker jokes, and each other.Over the last forty years, the Eckers got married and had three children, ...
Loading
Title:I am Sophie Tucker: A Fictional MemoirFormat:HardcoverDimensions:416 pages, 9 × 6 × 0.98 inPublished:November 4, 2014Publisher:Easton Studio Press, LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:1632260069

ISBN - 13:9781632260062

Reviews

Editorial Reviews

“ a sizzling page-turner, a “must have” for any showbiz junkie who can’t wait to get their mitts on the Last of the Red Hot Mamas.” — Jewish Scene Magazine“I’d recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good laugh,  appreciates a risqué double entendre, and would like to gain insight into the inner workings of burlesque and vaudeville.” — Donald H. Harrison, San Diego Jewish World“ captures Tucker’s real life adventures that were too hot to handle in her previous autobiography.” — Kosheroc Magazine“Susan and Lloyd Ecker have done a masterful research job, and an equally fine one of fictionalizing the life of this raucous, rambunctious, self-assured, diligent, poker-playing, talented, generous, brash and brassy broad. Lending the project a helping hand, the Last of the Red-hot Mamas did a pretty good job of reinventing and fictionalizing herself.” — Ithaca Magazine“This fictional memoir is very readable, giving what feels like a clear idea of what Sophie’s life was like, and what she must have been thinking during her most memorable experiences. The tone of the writing is chipper and makes use of 1920s-era slang as well as Yiddish words and phrases.” — Historical Novel Society