Take your program for English learners to the next level and learn to effectively implement the SIOP® Model with the guidance of Jana Echevarría, MaryEllen Vogt, and Deborah Short!
“This book is an answer to so many of the questions that teachers have about how to enhance their teaching. This book is a welcome addition to our program and would be one of those books that teachers would keep and use for a long time.”
–Julia S. Austin, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Trusted by more than 350,000 educators, the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP ® ) Model provides the key to best practices for teaching English learners. Now, in response to the overwhelming success of the SIOP ® Model, the renowned author team has crafted a fresh, indispensable resource for educators, Implementing the SIOP ® Model through Effective Professional Development and Coaching. This book empowers teachers, professional development coordinators, coaches, and administrators with complete access to the “how” and “why” of the SIOP ® Model–from getting started to sustaining the program–all in one place to meet your professional development and coaching needs.
Guidance every educator can use!
- Voices from the Field: Educators from sixteen U.S. school districts share their stories about the challenges and the successes in meeting the needs of their ELLs. Their suggestions include school and district-level SIOP ® implementation strategies for success.
- Models of SIOP ® Implementation: There is no one-size-fits-all approach; the authors offer a variety of models of implementation so you can find one that most closely matches your own school or district context.
- Coaching Do’s and Don’ts: Current SIOP ® coaches tell how they have set up coaching programs and formed SIOP ® teams at their schools, and discuss what expertise SIOP ® coaches need and how their responsibilities may differ from those of other coaches.
- Classroom Implementation of the SIOP ® Model: Classroom teachers have the greatest responsibility for providing effective and appropriate instruction. This book offers specific recommendations for creating SIOP ® -based classrooms that truly promote academic literacy and content learning.
- Implementation Tools: You will find a wealth of resources from sample agendas for SIOP ® staff development and classroom observation checklists to lesson plan forms, self-assessment tools, and coaching tips–all to help you successfully implement the SIOP ® Model.