This book has developed from research into initiatives for school improvement in a range of secondary schools. It considers the views of students as a starting point and then charts action being undertaken to enhance the environment of classroom and school:
* to develop challenge in teaching and learning
* to consider learning styles and the use of teaching strategies to meet these
* to analyse the nature of successful staff student relationships
* to help students to see the rationale for and importance of integration in the curriculum
* to chronicle endeavours being made to achieve gender equality.
The book concludes with consideration of the relationship between culture and achievement. Each chapter offers a blend of research data, real cases for discussion, contemporary literary comment and action points. Reference is also made to lines of further investigation using internet sources.
It will be an invaluable text for student teachers and teachers undertaking school based in-service work.