International Banking 1870-1914

Hardcover | April 1, 1991

EditorRondo Cameron, V. I. BovykinbyBoris Ananich

not yet rated|write a review
This book, the product of a unique international scholarly collaboration sponsored jointly by the American Council of Learned Societies and the Soviet Academy of Sciences, provides a comprehensive survey on international banking from 1870 to 1914. In that period international investmentreached dimensions previously unknown, and the banking systems of the world achieved a degree of internationalization without precedent. The book's authors, twenty-five scholars from fifteen countries, are the acknowledged experts in their fields. They detail the origin and development ofinternationally oriented banks in each major country, and explain their role in foreign investment and industrial finance. They look at all areas of the world that were involved in international investment, either as investors, recipients of investment, or both. The definitive work oninternational banking from 1870 to 1914, this book will interest scholars and students in financial and banking history, bankers and economists in the finanical industry, and general historians.

Pricing and Purchase Info

$242.00

Ships within 1-3 weeks
Ships free on orders over $25

From Our Editors

From 1870 to 1914, international investment reached dimensions previously unknown, and the banking systems of the world achieved a degree of internationalization also without precedent. Rondo Cameron's International Banking, 1870 -1914 is the product of a unique international scholarly collaboration.

From the Publisher

This book, the product of a unique international scholarly collaboration sponsored jointly by the American Council of Learned Societies and the Soviet Academy of Sciences, provides a comprehensive survey on international banking from 1870 to 1914. In that period international investmentreached dimensions previously unknown, and the ban...

Rondo Cameron is at Emory University. V. I. Bovykin is at Institute of History, USSR.
Format:HardcoverDimensions:672 pages, 9.57 × 6.38 × 1.61 inPublished:April 1, 1991Publisher:Oxford University Press

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:019506271X

ISBN - 13:9780195062717

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of International Banking 1870-1914

Reviews

Extra Content

Table of Contents

List of Contributors: B.V. Anan'ich, Hubert Bonin, V.I. Bovykin, Albert Broder, Rondo Cameron, Fred V. Carstensen, Vincent P. Carosso, P.L. Cottrell, Ian M. Drummond, A.A. Fursenko, Martine Goossens, Peter Hertner, Kanji Ishii, Hans Christian Johansen, Frank H.H. King, Gyorgy Kover, Maria BarbaraLevy, Ragnhild Lundstrom, Ruth AmEnde Roosa, Richard Sylla, Jacques Thobie, Richard Tilly, Herman Van der Wee, Ulrich Wengenroth, and Mira WilkinsRondo Cameron: IntroductionPart I: International Factors in the Formation of Banking SystemsP.L. Cottrell: Great BritainVincent P. Carosso and Richard Sylla: U.S. Banks in International FinanceHubert Bonin: The Case of the French BanksRichard Tilly: International Aspects of the Development of German BankingHerman Van der Wee and Martine Goossens: BelgiumV.I. Bovykin and B.V. Anan'ich: The Role of International Factors in the Formation of the Banking System in RussiaH.C. Johansen: Banking and Finance in the Danish EconomyRagnhild Lundstrom: SwedenIan M. Drummond: Banks and Banking in Canada and AustraliaKanji Ishii: JapanPart II: Foreign Banks and Foreign InvestmentMira Wilkins: Foreign Banks and Foreign Investment in the United StatesB.V. Anan'ich and V.I. Bovykin: Foreign Banks and Foreign Investment in RussiaRuth AmEnde Roosa: Banks and Financial Relations between Russia and the United StatesGyorgy Kover: The Austro-Hungarian Banking SystemPeter Hertner: Foreign Capital in the Italian Banking SectorM.B. Levy: The Banking System and Foreign Capital in BrazilFrank H.H. King: Extra-Regional Banks and Investments in ChinaJacques Thobie: European Banks in the Middle EastPart III: International Banking and Multinational EnterpriseThe Oil IndustryA.A. Fursenko: Albert Broder: Banking and the Electrotechnical Industry in Western EuropeUlrich Wengenroth: Iron and SteelFred V. Carstensen: International Harvester and its CompetitorsV.I. Bovykin and Rondo Cameron: Conclusions

From Our Editors

From 1870 to 1914, international investment reached dimensions previously unknown, and the banking systems of the world achieved a degree of internationalization also without precedent. Rondo Cameron's International Banking, 1870 -1914 is the product of a unique international scholarly collaboration.

Editorial Reviews

"A suitable reference for all academic and large public libraries, but particularly useful for upper-division undergraduate and graduate students, and faculty."--Choice