Introduction To Ethics (volume 1); Including A Critical Survey Of Moral Systems, Tr. From The…

Paperback | January 10, 2012

byThéodore Jouffroy

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1845. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... true character and high importance, it has seemed to me necessary, before entering deeply into the science, first to examine the great fact in our nature on which it rests, and to discuss the numerous systems which do thus deny or alter it. Such a discussion, as you will at once see, properly precedes those inquiries which are the object of the course; and, besides, what can be more important than for us to know whether there is, in truth, any law of obligation for human conduct? The consideration of this question as to the law of obligation -- a question that has occupied the attention of the most celebrated writers in philosophy, politics, and jurisprudence -- carries us, then, you will see, to the very foundation of all duties and rights. I have hesitated between two ways of proceeding in this discussion. I have questioned whether it would be better for me to explain and refute these systems successively, reserving till the end an exhibition of the facts in human nature which they have altered or misconceived; or whether I should not rather commence with an outline of the facts of human nature, and thence, with the light of these facts before us, pass to a judgment of the different systems which have given an imperfect view of them, sacrificing to clearness whatever greater interest novelty might give to the former mode of criticism. I have determined to adopt the latter method; for X fear that, with all my efforts to make you comprehend the principles and tendency of each system, I should still fail, unless I had first set before you those facts of our moral nature which are the common foundation on which all systems rest. Vol. i. c I will begin, then, with presenting my own system; and I trust you will find it to be an exact exposition of the principal fact...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1845. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... true character and high importance, it has seemed to me necessary, before entering deeply into the science, first to examine the grea...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:82 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.17 inPublished:January 10, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217934692

ISBN - 13:9780217934695

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Introduction To Ethics (volume 1); Including A Critical Survey Of Moral Systems, Tr. From The French Of Jouffroy

Reviews