This book is a strategy guide for salespeople to help them level the procurement playing field by showing readers how to assess the game procurement plays, describing proven ways to resist discounting and protect margins, demonstrating ways to keep value at the forefront of negotiations, offering targeted tactics to protect hard-earned profits from mindless discounting, and detailing eight strategies effective in any type of pricing negotiation. Negotiating with Backbone brings together key insights, actionable practices, and state-of-the-art tools for:
- Resisting discounting, and keeping value at the forefront of negotiations
- Implementing targeted tactics to protect hard-earned profits
- Negotiating with price buyers, relationship buyers, value buyers, and "poker players"
The Truth About Negotiations, Second Edition shares even more proven principles for handling virtually every negotiation situation. Building on her widely praised First Edition, Leigh Thompson delivers more than 50 real solutions for the make-or-break scenarios faced by every negotiator. In this edition, Thompson adds powerful new “truths” and techniques for negotiating across generations and cultures, negotiating in virtual/online environments, and more. Thompson:¿
- Provides realistic game plans that work in any negotiation situation
- Focuses on the two key tasks of any negotiation: how to create win-win deals by leveraging information carefully collected from the other party; and how to effectively lay claim to part of the win-win goldmine
- Demonstrates how to handle less-than-perfect situations, such as getting called on a bluff, establishing trust with someone you don’t trust, recognizing when to walk away, negotiating with people you don’t like — and conversely, negotiating with people you love, and who love you¿