Learn to Read Latin
helps students acquire an ability to read and appreciate the great works of Latin literature as quickly as possible. It not only presents basic Latin morphology and syntax with clear explanations and examples but also offers direct access to unabridged passages drawn from a wide variety of Latin texts. As beginning students learn basic forms and grammar, they also gain familiarity with patterns of Latin word order and other features of style. Learn to Read Latin
- is designed to be comprehensive and requires no supplementary materials
- explains English grammar points and provides drills especially for today’s students
- offers sections on Latin metrics
- includes numerous unaltered examples of ancient Latin prose and poetry
- incorporates selections by authors such as Caesar, Cicero, Sallust, Catullus, Vergil, and Ovid, presented chronologically with introductions to each author and work
- offers a comprehensive workbook that provides drills and homework assignments.
This enlarged second edition improves upon an already strong foundation by streamlining grammatical explanations, increasing the number of syntax and morphology drills, and offering additional short and longer readings in Latin prose and poetry.