byChristoph Sigwart

Paperback | October 12, 2012

Pricing and Purchase Info

$44.95

Earn 225 plum® points

Out of stock online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1895 edition. Excerpt: ...the process of obtaining specific propositions, which possess a merely numerical generality, and generalization, in which the results are obtained by means of generic concepts. 1. Induction (iiraymyy) was opposed to the syllogism by Aristotle as a special kind of inference, by means of which the truth of propositions is known; and he describes it as ascending from the particular to the universal,1 without giving us any detailed teaching about it. He finds first the process of illustrating a universal proposition by a series of examples in the practice of oratory, and more especially in the method of Socrates; and he explains that it is the popular process because it attaches itself to familiar experiences, and thus easily excites belief. Its only presupposition is, that the similar in different instances is recognised, and that a familiar word for it exists. Thus it is shown that the best pilot is he who understands the matter, and the best driver in the same way he who 1 Top., I, 12, 105a, 10 sq.: iiraywy i) airi rCir Knd' tKaaror tvl T4 t.aOoov tipo&ot. Cf. Top., I, 18, lti&b, 7 sq. Anal post., I, 13, 80a, 40 sq. With what follows cf. Max Coosbrucb, "'Biraywyii, und Tlieorie der Induction bei Aristoteles," Archiv fur Gcsch. J. Phil., v. 3, 302 sq. S. l.--II. U understands it, and hence it is inferred that in every art he is the best who understands it. Akin to the iirayiayrj is the proof from the particular example (jropa8y/xa). Athletes are not chosen by lot, therefore statesmen should not be chosen by lot.1 In a wider sense the process of explaining a general concept, such as that of the relation between Sorapts and tvipyua, by examples such as the relation between the man who knows how to build and the man who...
Title:Logic Volume 2Format:PaperbackDimensions:240 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.51 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217506763

ISBN - 13:9780217506762

Reviews