· Coverage of all aspects of K-12 online education shows educators how to move classrooms from traditional to online settings and how to build 21st century skills such as problem solving, synthesizing, use of networks and workgroups, cultural and global awareness and the ability to communicate effectively in multiple media.
· An overview of key principles of effective online instruction emphasizes the power of learner-centeredness and how this framework drives online teaching and its core methods such as active participation, collaboration and community building, and authentic assessments.
· A chapter devoted to the essential tools for teaching online (Chapter 3) describes important technology such as learning management systems, asynchronous communication tools, synchronous communication tools, presentation tools, collaboration tools, networking tools, and multimedia creation tools—complete with multiple images and screenshots.
A chapter devoted to online lesson development (Chapter 7) walks the reader through the process of course design and lesson planning, illustrating how key learner-centered concepts can be incorporated into lesson development.
· A chapter devoted to learners with special needs (Chapter 8) covers laws and statutes for individuals with disabilities, identifying students with special needs, differentiation instruction for struggling students, various types of learning difficulties and assistive technology.
· A unique chapter devoted to digital citizenship (Chapter 9) discusses the concepts of digital equity, digital literacy and Internet safety.
· Voices from the Field vignettes feature comments and quotes from teachers and add a real world approach to the text.
· Multiple checklists, guidelines, and examples provide practical application for teachers.
· Sample lessons and strategies offer suggestions that can be implemented immediately in the online learning environment.
· Learning activities encourage e-portfolio developmentand allow for practice and reflection as well as the collection of artifacts that provide evidence of learning and comprehension.