Not available in stores

about

Originally serialized in the '80s in newsmagazine WEEKLY BUNSHUN in the first
such attempt by comics master Osamu Tezuka, the magnum opus from the last
decade of his momentous career returns in two hardcover installments and a new
translation.

A graveyard in contemporary Israel has an unlikely visitor. The elderly
gentleman from Japan, a former news correspondent, lays a bouquet of flowers
at the tomb of one Adolf Kamil. For he remembers the tale of three Adolfs: Kamil,
a Jew who grew up in Kobe, Japan, the son of a baker; Kaufmann, only child of a
German consul stationed at that port city and his Japanese wife; and the Fuhrer
with whom the Far Eastern nation made common cause.

A briskly paced political thriller, in this first part MESSAGE TO ADOLF takes
us from the Nazi propaganda victory of the 1936 Berlin Olympics to the ravaging
flames and atrocities of World War II. The disastrous education of Adolf Kaufmann
in the ways and prerogatives of the master race begins.

Title:Message to Adolf, Part 1Format:Kobo ebookPublished:June 8, 2016Publisher:Kodansha USALanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:1945054069

ISBN - 13:9781945054068

Look for similar items by category:

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Manga as literature The best literature serves to open your eyes to something new, to reveal something you haven’t seen before. Books that meet this test are few and far between — and Message to Adolf by manga master Osamu Tezuka is firmly one of them. It’s all the more surprising through Western eyes because we just don’t expect to come across idea shaking literature in graphic form — manga, comic, or graphic novel. Message to Adolf shows we probably should. Note - I am reviewing the two volumes of this work here as a single book. It’s an approach I like to take with manga series as they feel like a complete whole to me - whether it is two or 20 volumes. So often the story of Hitler and the Jews has been played out in a European context -- here it is fascinating to see it played out against a Japanese backdrop. Message to Adolf brings together a number of story lines in a compelling tale of race, cultures, and war in a way I had never considered before. Part of the genus is the blurring of race lines — with each of the three Adolfs of the book: 1. half-Jewish half-Japanese Adolf Kaufmann who ends up following his German blood into the Hitler youth 2. Ashkenazi Jew living in Japan Adolf Kamil who considers himself to be Japanese - and his wartime struggles 3. The rise of German dictator Adolf Hitler. What’s clear from all three stories is that race can be twisted and warped until it destroys us and those around us. Also it is interesting to see a little bit about Jewish life in Japan during the war - something I knew nothing of before these books.
Date published: 2017-09-02