Miracle in the Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek Home by Nando Parrado

Miracle in the Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek Home

byNando Parrado

Kobo ebook | May 9, 2006

Pricing and Purchase Info

$12.99

Available for download

Not available in stores

about

In the first hours there was nothing, no fear or sadness, just a black and perfect silence.

Nando Parrado was unconscious for three days before he woke to discover that the plane carrying his rugby team, as well as their family members and supporters, to an exhibition game in Chile had crashed somewhere deep in the Andes. He soon learned that many were dead or dying—among them his own mother and sister. Those who remained were stranded on a lifeless glacier at nearly 12,000 feet above sea level, with no supplies and no means of summoning help. They struggled to endure freezing temperatures, deadly avalanches, and then the devastating news that the search for them had been called off.

As time passed and Nando’s thoughts turned increasingly to his father, who he knew must be consumed with grief, Nando resolved that he must get home or die trying. He would challenge the Andes, even though he was certain the effort would kill him, telling himself that even if he failed he would die that much closer to his father. It was a desperate decision, but it was also his only chance. So Nando, an ordinary young man with no disposition for leadership or heroism, led an expedition up the treacherous slopes of a snow-capped mountain and across forty-five miles of frozen wilderness in an attempt to find help.

Thirty years after the disaster Nando tells his story with remarkable candor and depth of feeling. Miracle in the Andes—a first person account of the crash and its aftermath—is more than a riveting tale of true-life adventure: it is a revealing look at life at the edge of death and a meditation on the limitless redemptive power of love.

From the Hardcover edition.
Title:Miracle in the Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek HomeFormat:Kobo ebookPublished:May 9, 2006Publisher:Crown/ArchetypeLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0307347028

ISBN - 13:9780307347022

Look for similar items by category:

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from One of the Best Books Ever! The story of the survivors is well-established and retold countless times on film and print. But the story of Nando Parrado who survived and trekked for days to find rescue is one of the most inspirational accounts of the triumph of the human spirit to survive and overcome insurmountable odds. His lesson to us is that death is always near and the best way to fight back is with love and living our lives breath by breath and never looking back. Simply, this book blew me away and inspired me to be a better person. Should be mandatory reading for everyone.
Date published: 2012-04-23
Rated 5 out of 5 by from FANTASTIC What an amazing story filled with such courage, heartbreak and impossibilities. What the survivors had to endure in order to survive a horrific plane crash over the Andes mountains, including eating some of the dead. Very horrific. The courage of a few whom travelled on foot in blizzard conditions for endless days to find civilization in the middle of nowhere, is very heartwarming. The book was extremely well written and it puts the reader right in the center of it all. I didn't want to put this book down at all. A definite must read.
Date published: 2012-03-06
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Real Story of Survival This was a Goodreads recommendation, and after I saw that Jon Krakauer was praising it, I knew I had to read it (Into Thin Air is one of the best personal accounts of survival I've ever read!) No sooner had I decided to read it, that I found a second hand copy in my local thrift store. I quite enjoyed this book, told from the POV of Nando Parrado, and although no where near as vivid as ITA, Parrado with Vince Rause does a respectable job recounting not only the disaster, but his feelings during this time. I cannot imagine what these young men must have truly endured on that mountain, and the sheer will to live it took to climb out near starved to death and oxygen deprived...I am in awe. A recommended read!
Date published: 2012-02-01
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Couldn't put it down! This book was amazing. I will admit I only bought it because I needed another to get the free shipping. When it arrived I put it aside and didn't start it until yesterday. And I finished it yesterday. I just couldn't stop reading this book! It is amazing. If you have seen or read ALIVE then this book is the next step up. All of my roommates are lining up to read it and so should you! 5/5!
Date published: 2007-07-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A must read, even for the occasional reader "WOW" I must confess, I am a guy who reads a book every once in a while. It needs to catch my eye from the start and have a truth to its story line. Yes I knew the outcome of the book before I even bought it (like the Titanic movie when it came out) but I had no Idea I would not put it down for two days until I was finished. To me the opening was not what I thought it was going to be, and I did start to feel disappointed after waiting so long for it to come out on paperback. Then all of a sudden you can't put it down wondering what would happen to these people next. A great "must read" book, coming from a guy who does not read books that often. I am now looking for another book to read. Perhaps another survival autobiography type.
Date published: 2007-06-19