Mr. Wynyard's Ward (volume 2)

Paperback | February 4, 2012

byHolme Lee

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1867. Excerpt: ... ME. WYNYAKD'S WAED. in. WAITING FOR NEWS. And how had it really fared all this time with Mr. Tindal? Neither so ill nor so well as Pennie's fancy had set her on dreaming. He had achieved no honours, and had run no risks worth speaking of. Both, if ever, were yet to come. A few days after the landing of the English at Varna in June, George Goodwin fell in with him, a sun-burnt, weatherbeaten, wild figure of a man, who knew the country and the people, was a capital rider, and a dead shot with the rifle. He had fraternized with some French officers, and appeared to be a mighty favourite in their camp. 21--2 "He seems a pleasant, generous, easy-going fellow enough, not a bit like a man who ought to feel a halter round his neck," George wrote to his sisterin-law. "I should not object to go through a campaign with him. He is brave and cheerful, he sings a good song, and has some prime tobacco. I do not suppose his story is known here. Bangham, who told me, is still at Scutari with the staff. If Tindal goes in for the war as a volunteer, he will probably join the French. Should his antecedents come out, some of our fellows might fight shy of him, and that would not be encouraging. I shall keep his counsel, for I am sure a man with his face and his voice cannot be a villain. If he has come out here to redeem his fame, all I can say is, I hope he may get the chance." It was no more than kind of Lady Goodwin to write a little version of George's news to Pennie byand-by. It came to her like refreshing dew in a dry and thirsty land where no water was. She had returned to Eskdale just at the beginning of hayharvest, and her mother had immediately desired her presence at Mayfield. Pennie exchanged the dull refined quiet of Eastwold for the bustle of the farm reluctantl...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$19.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1867. Excerpt: ... ME. WYNYAKD'S WAED. in. WAITING FOR NEWS. And how had it really fared all this time with Mr. Tindal? Neither so ill nor so wel...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:48 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.1 inPublished:February 4, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217238033

ISBN - 13:9780217238038

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Mr. Wynyard's Ward (volume 2)

Reviews