My Lyrical Life Volume 2; Poems Old And New

Paperback | February 8, 2012

byGerald Massey

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1889 Excerpt: ... CRIES OF 'FORTY-EIGHT. Let my Songs be cited As breakers of the peace, Till the Wrongs are righted; Ths man-made miseries cease: Till Earth's Disinherited Beg no more to earn their bread; Till the consuming darts of burning Day Shall fire the midnight Foxes; scare away From Labour's fruits the parasites of prey. Let them die when all is done, Now Victoriously begun 1 Our Visions have not come to nought, Who saw by Lightning in the night; The deeds we Dreamed are being Wrought By those who Work in clearer light; In other ways our fight is fought, And other forms fulfil our Thought Made visible to all men's sight. 220 THE PEOPLE'S ADVENT. "Tis coming up the steep of Time, And this old world is growing brighter! We may not see its Dawn sublime, Yet high hopes make the heart throb lighter! Our dust may slumber under-ground When it awakes the world in wonder; But we have felt it gathering round!--We have heard its voice of distant thunder! 'Tis Coming! yes, 'tis Coming! 'Tis coming now, that glorious time Foretold by Seers and sung in story, For which, when thinking was a crime, Souls leaped to heaven from scaffolds gory! They passed. But lo! the work they have wrought, Now the crowned hopes of Centuries blossom! The lightning of their living thought Is flashing through us, brain and bosom: 'Tis Coming! yes, 'tis Coming! Creeds, Empires, Systems, rot with age, But the great People's ever youthful! And it shall write the Future's page To our Humanity more truthful; The gnarliest heart hath tender chords To waken at the name of "Brother!" 'Tis coming when these scorpion-words We shall not speak to sting each other. 'Tis Coming! yes, 'tis Coming! Out of the light, you Priests, nor fling Your dark, cold shadows on us longer! Aside, thou world-wide curse, called King...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1889 Excerpt: ... CRIES OF 'FORTY-EIGHT. Let my Songs be cited As breakers of the peace, Till the Wrongs are righted; Ths man-made miseries cease:...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:94 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.19 inPublished:February 8, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217259685

ISBN - 13:9780217259682

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of My Lyrical Life Volume 2; Poems Old And New

Reviews