My Uncle Thomas (volume 2); A Romance

Paperback | February 3, 2012

byPigault-lebrun

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1810. Excerpt: ... four guns, and five Portuguese Indian vessels. My uncle assembled a council of war, and demanded what was 10 be done. Some proposed to treat with the enemy, and endeavour to surprise one of two ships during the conference; others proposed to restore the booty obtained at Tercera, on condition we should be at liberty to leave the port, and proceed to sea;--for my part, I thought we should be but too tortunate it we should be received as prisoners (it war, and treated as such. My uncle hastily broke up the debate, observing that the first opinion was the best, provided it was practicable, but that fleets never parleyed; the Chief was obliged to go on board the enemies' ship, and the vessels remained in a slate of blockade till the acceptance or rejection of the proposed capitulation. My uncle added that the second proposition was unworthy brave men.--11 I had rather," continued1 he," lose my life than the booty we have gained; let every one repair to his post, and prepare to parley with the mouth of his cannon. I will not dissemble the d.inger that threatens us, but dread ignominy and misery--I dread the barbarous treatment our enemies reserve for us: to escape it, let us fight. Courage, my boys, and fire like hell! I know but how to fight--I will know nothing else. Courage, I say!"--Immediately the rum circulated in full bumpers; every heart was animated, and they left the port, resigned to the worst that could happen.' The frigate La Liberte proceeded between the Swallow and the Phoenix, and an Indian vessel was at each wing. We formed a close line, and appeared to offer the enemy a regular engagement, in which the superiority of their metal assured them the advantage. The English imitated outmanoeuvre; their two ships closed; the Portuguese vessels made ...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1810. Excerpt: ... four guns, and five Portuguese Indian vessels. My uncle assembled a council of war, and demanded what was 10 be done. Some pro...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:68 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.14 inPublished:February 3, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217514162

ISBN - 13:9780217514163

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of My Uncle Thomas (volume 2); A Romance

Reviews