Newton Dogvane Volume 1

Paperback | October 12, 2012

byFrancis Francis

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1859 edition. Excerpt: ...cried Ned, rage and scorn struggling united; " coward as well as liar? Then--" and with his arm drawn back, he was about to rush on him, while Newton, now enraged beyond all control, was springing forward with flashing eye and clenched fist to meet him. At this moment Newton found himself suddenly checked by a grasp of iron from behind, for Vincent held him back; while Mr. Bowers, who had come forward on hearing the noise, and had interchanged a few words with Vincent, stepped between them, and placing his hand on his son's breast, said sternly:--"I have heard all, sir. This gentleman but fulfils the duties of 'his office. Go home, sir. I pity your unfortunate position, and deeply regret all that has occurred; but--but you had better withdraw." Ned looked round. Mrs. Hagley had slipped away at the first symptoms of the fracas; and Ned, without another word, dashed down the stairs and disappeared. Fortunately, Bessie and Uncle Crabb had walked to the other end of the room, and the crowd and the music prevented their hearing what had occurred. There were some heavily curtained windows around the ball-room; to one of these there was a small balcony. It was bright moonlight. In the farthest shade of the balcony sat Newton, his forehead resting on the cold iron rail. Bitter tears forced their way from him, as he tried to soothe, to excuse, to calm his outraged feelings. "Had it been anyone but him--anyone but her brother, I would have trampled on him, I would have--have killed him," he said to himself, for the hundredth time. " I would--I--" A soft hand was laid upon his arm. He looked hastily around. It was Bessie. Now, doubtless, the reader expects a love scene, all in the usual conventional style of writing; but love scenes, if...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$19.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1859 edition. Excerpt: ...cried Ned, rage and scorn struggling united; " coward as well as liar? Then--" and with his arm drawn back, he ...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:46 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.1 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:021773264X

ISBN - 13:9780217732642

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Newton Dogvane Volume 1

Reviews