North And South (volume 2)

Paperback | January 1, 2012

byElizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell

not yet rated|write a review
Book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1855. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER XIX. ANGEL VISITS. "As angels in some brighter dreams Call to the soul when man doth sleep, So some strange thoughts transcend our wonted themes, And into glory peep." Henry Vadohan. Mrs. Hale was curiously amused and interested by the idea of the Thornton dinner party. She kept wondering about the details, with something of the simplicity of a little child, who wants to have all its anticipated pleasures described beforehand. But the monotonous life led by invalids often makes them like children, inasmuch as they have neither of them any sense of proportion in events, and seem each to believe that the walls and curtains which shut in their world, and shut out everything else, must of necessity be larger than anything hidden beyond. Besides, Mrs. Hale had had her vanities as a girl; had perhaps unduly felt their mortification when she became a poor clergyman's wife ;-- they had been smothered and kept down; but they were not extinct; and she liked to think of seeing Margaret dressed for a party, and discussed what she should wear, with an unsettled anxiety that amused Margaret, who had been more accustomed to society in her one year in Harley Street than her mother in five and twenty years of Helstone. "Then you think you shall wear your white silk. Are you sure it will fit? It's nearly a year since Edith was married!" "Oh yes, mamma! Mrs. Murray made it, and it's sure to be right; it may be a straw's breadth shorter or longer-waisted, according to my having grown fat or thin. But I don't think I've altered in the least." "Hadn't you better let Dixon see it? It may have gone yellow with lying by." "If you like, mamma. But if the worst comes to the worst, I've a very nice pink gauze which aunt Shaw gave me, only two or three months before Edith was married. That can't have go...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

In stock online
Ships free on orders over $25
HURRY, ONLY 1 LEFT!

From the Publisher

Book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1855. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER XIX. ANGEL VISITS. "As angels in some brighter dreams Call to the soul when man doth sleep, So some strange thoughts transcend our wonted themes, ...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:82 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.17 inPublished:January 1, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217853234

ISBN - 13:9780217853231

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of North And South (volume 2)

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Wonderful! This is one the best books I have ever read! It reminds me of Pride and Prejudice but with more humanity and heart. Would recommend anyone to pick up this book!
Date published: 2016-12-01
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Interesting discovery I am really glad to have found Mrs. Gaskell's North and South. ALL the Victorian Classics but this were in my parents' house as I was growing up, plus many volumes of Good Words in which they were often originally serialised. This delightful story wasn't there, because as I now realise it has been out of print for well over a century since publication. Really very good in spite of the author's Unitarianism; that doesn't seem to stop her from portraying people as praying to Christ, and I suspect makes her nearer to a conservative Christian position than many of her contemporaries. The PoV is more feminine than that of Dickens or Thackeray. There is the usual Victorian plethora of sobs, swoons and early death, but much delicacy of feeling amidst the drama. I was particularly interested in the handling of the class-war and of early trades-unionism.
Date published: 2013-12-18