Notices Of Brazil In 1828 And 1829 (volume 2)

Paperback | February 6, 2012

byRobert Walsh

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1830 Excerpt: ... occurred to my friend, that perhaps the custom of the country might be, for the host to tell his guests when they were to retire. He therefore inquired of the sargente m6r, what was the usual hour at which parties broke up in Brazil. The old gentleman looked at his watch, went up to the musicians, and bade them tocar huma retirada, "play a retreat." They complied with his request, but had scarcely got through the two first bars of the air, before the company all started up together, took leave, and hastily dispersed, and in ten minutes the house was cleared. The eight days of chuva fria were now past, and were succeeded by very delightful weather, and I availed myself of it to visit the vicinity of the town. We first proceeded to the Rio das Mortes, or River of Deaths. It is a large stream, crossed over by a wooden bridge, about 100 yards long, running through a country by nature exceedingly fertile, but rendered sterile by the art of man in searching for gold. Gold was known to exist in the country so early as 1543. The Indians made their fishing-hooks of it, and from them it was discovered that it was found in the beds of streams, brought down from the mountains. But the first ore found, by a white man, in this country, was in the year 1693, by Antonio Rodrigo, a native of Thaubate, in the province of St. Paul's. The Paulistas are particularly distinguished in the history of Brazil, by their enterprise and ferocity. The situation of their town, cut off from intercourse with other places, having little communication with Portugal, and no trade for want of an outlet, enjoyed a delightful climate and fertile soil, and it was for a long time the resort of desperate adventurers, deserters, and fugitives. These formed connexions with Indian women, and their des...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1830 Excerpt: ... occurred to my friend, that perhaps the custom of the country might be, for the host to tell his guests when they were to retire...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:108 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.22 inPublished:February 6, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217521509

ISBN - 13:9780217521505

Customer Reviews of Notices Of Brazil In 1828 And 1829 (volume 2)

Reviews