OpenGL opens the door to the world of high-quality, high-performance 3D computer graphics. The preferred application programming interface for developing 3D applications, OpenGL is widely used in video game development, visualization and simulation, CAD, virtual reality, modeling, and computer-generated animation.
OpenGL® Distilled provides the fundamental information you need to start programming 3D graphics, from setting up an OpenGL development environment to creating realistic textures and shadows. Written in an engaging, easy-to-follow style, this book makes it easy to find the information you're looking for. You'll quickly learn the essential and most-often-used features of OpenGL 2.0, along with the best coding practices and troubleshooting tips.
- Drawing and rendering geometric data such as points, lines, and polygons
- Controlling color and lighting to create elegant graphics
- Creating and orienting views
- Increasing image realism with texture mapping and shadows
- Improving rendering performance
- Preserving graphics integrity across platforms
A companion Web site includes complete source code examples, color versions of special effects described in the book, and additional resources.