Oxford Bookworms Library: Level 4 (1,400 headwords) Silas Marner by George EliotOxford Bookworms Library: Level 4 (1,400 headwords) Silas Marner by George Eliot

Oxford Bookworms Library: Level 4 (1,400 headwords) Silas Marner

byGeorge Eliot, Clare West, Tricia Hedge

Paperback | April 1, 2000

about

In a hole under the floorboards Silas Marner the linen-weaver keeps his gold. Every day he works hard at his weaving, and every night he takes the gold out and holds the bright coins lovingly, feeling them and counting them again and again. The villagers are afraid of him and he has no family,no friends. Only the gold is his friend, his delight, his reason for living. But what if a thief should come in the night and take his gold away? What will Silas do then? What could possibly comfort him for the loss of his only friend?
George Eliot (1819-1880) is one of England's greatest novelists. Her real name is Mary Ann Evans and she became famous in her own time for her novels, which include Silas Marner, Middlemarch and The Mill on the Floss.
Title:Oxford Bookworms Library: Level 4 (1,400 headwords) Silas MarnerFormat:PaperbackPublished:April 1, 2000Publisher:Oxford University PressLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0194230449

ISBN - 13:9780194230445

Look for similar items by category:

Reviews

Rated 4 out of 5 by from Loved it. Loved it. Sweet, pastoral and all the subtleties of the classics that makes the character development so great. I was pretty affected by the description in the very beginning when Silas fell upon such hard luck, because I have felt this way in my own life when religion let me down: "Pour Marner went out with that despair in his soul- that shaken trust in God and man, which is little short of madness to a loving nature...To people accustomed to reason about the forms in which their religious feeling has incorporated itself, it is difficult to enter into that simple, untaught state of mind in which the form and the feeling have never been severed by an act of reflection. We are apt to think it inevitable that a man in Marner's position should have begun to question the validity of an appeal to the divine judgment by drawing lots; but to him this would have been an effort of independent thought such as he had never known; and he must have made the effort at a moment when all his energies were turned into the anguish of disappointed faith." p. 17.
Date published: 2017-09-09
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Classic I had loved this book in university, it was so well written, and so heartwarming. Characters were interesting, non-cardboard like characters - well fleshed out and real.
Date published: 2017-02-28
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A beautiful, heartwarming book. "Silas Marner" reads almost like a fairy tale but at the same time, rings true. George Eliot shows her keen understanding of human nature through the characters and story, both of which are vividly fleshed out. While she puts the foibles and strengths of human nature on full display, her wonderfully realized portrait of English provincial life gives almost a magical feel to her story. This is a truly wonderful book filled with elegant prose and compassion for its characters.
Date published: 2016-12-24
Rated 1 out of 5 by from Forced to read it Unless you are forced to read it, I would not advise picking up this novel. The characters are not at all interesting. Eppie was irritatingly good with no character flaws. I couldn't stand the way the book was written, not just the old fashioned style (I've enjoyed other classics), but the pointless wordiness of it. The only good thing about this book was the beginning, where it seemed like the fits would be more interesting and involved in the novel. All downhill from there.
Date published: 2008-03-04