Fast, crystal-clear guidance on managing both pediatric endocrine disorders and inborn errors of metabolism
A Doody's Core Title for 2011!
New England Journal of Medicine Review!
"...an inspiring learning tool....Sarafoglou and colleagues have combined their expertise to create an informative and timely textbook in which the explanations of underlying mechanisms guide the structure of each chapter. It is a unique book that is pleasing to the eye, nurturing for the mind, and instructive for a broad readership."--New England Journal of Medicine
4 STAR DOODY'S REVIEW!
"The book covers various pathophysiologic aspects of each endocrine organ and its interaction with other endocrine and nonendocrine systems. Disorders of thyroid and adrenal glands, pituitary, reproductive organs, and endocrine neoplasia are extensively covered. Most large groups of metabolic diseases are reviewed as well. Concise, pertinent information is provided on mitochondrial and fatty-acid oxidation, urea cycle and glycogen storage disorders, as well as organic acidurias and amino acidopathies. The most useful and user-friendly areas are the 1-to-2-page "at-a-glance" sections in each chapter which provide concise yet pertinent information about the disorders within a particular group of endocrine disturbances or IEM.
This is a well written book and the multiple visual aids greatly assist in comprehension and memorization of the material...I strongly recommend this book without reservation." -- Doody's
In one practical, user-friendly tutorial, a team of international contributors delivers the latest information and clinical insights you need to confidently diagnose and manage pediatric patients. This full-color resource guides you through the etiology, pathophysiology, presenting signs and symptoms, diagnostic laboratory examinations, and treatments regimens of each disorder.
- Full-color presentation with numerous photos, illustrations, diagnostic algorithms, tables, and text boxes that summarize key concepts and assist in the decision-making process
- At-a-Glance feature beginning each disease-based chapter summarizes all the clinical information you need to differentiate between disorder sub-types in one easy-to-find place
- All-inclusive coverage encompasses the full spectrum of critical topics
- Emergency assessment and treatment chapter gives you fast, clear guidance on acute presentations of endocrine and metabolic disorders
- Chapter on newborn screening walks you through an abnormal screening result to follow-up diagnostic testing
- Complete and detailed information on all laboratory and radiographic testing used to diagnose disorders in both disciplines