Plantagenet England 1225-1360

Paperback | September 17, 2007

byMichael Prestwich

not yet rated|write a review
In this thorough and illuminating work, Michael Prestwich provides a comprehensive study of Plantagenet England, a dramatic and turbulent period which saw many changes. In politics it saw Simon de Montfort's challenge to the crown in Henry II's reign and it witnessed the deposition of EdwardI. In contrast, it also saw the highly successful rules of Edward I and his grandson, Edward III. Political institutions were transformed with the development of parliament and war was a dominant theme: Wales was conquered and the Scottish Wars of Independence started in Edward I's reign, and underEdward III there were triumphs at Crecy and Poitiers. Outside of politics, English society was developing a structure, from the great magnates at the top to the peasantry at the bottom. Economic changes were also significant, from the expansionary period of the thirteenth century to years ofdifficulty in the fourteenth century, culminating in the greatest demographic disaster of historical times, the Black Death. In this volume in the New Oxford History of England series, Michael Prestwich brings this fascinating century to life.

Pricing and Purchase Info

$73.50

Ships within 1-3 weeks
Ships free on orders over $25

From the Publisher

In this thorough and illuminating work, Michael Prestwich provides a comprehensive study of Plantagenet England, a dramatic and turbulent period which saw many changes. In politics it saw Simon de Montfort's challenge to the crown in Henry II's reign and it witnessed the deposition of EdwardI. In contrast, it also saw the highly succes...

Michael Prestwich is a Professor of History, University of Durham.

other books by Michael Prestwich

Medieval People: Vivid Lives In A Distant Landscape
Medieval People: Vivid Lives In A Distant Landscape

Hardcover|Nov 11 2014

$33.66 online$46.00list price(save 26%)
Knight: The Medieval Warrior's (unofficial) Manual
Knight: The Medieval Warrior's (unofficial) Manual

Hardcover|May 25 2010

$29.07 online$32.00list price(save 9%)
Edward I
Edward I

Kobo ebook|Oct 1 2008

$50.52

see all books by Michael Prestwich
Format:PaperbackDimensions:672 pages, 9.21 × 6.14 × 1.34 inPublished:September 17, 2007Publisher:Oxford University PressLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0199226873

ISBN - 13:9780199226870

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Plantagenet England 1225-1360

Reviews

Extra Content

Table of Contents

Part I: IntroductoryThe EnvironmentThe Crown and KingshipGovernmentPart II: Politics and WarPolitics under Henry IIIReconstruction and Reform, 1266-94WalesPolitical Crises, 1294-1311Times of Trouble, 1311-1330ScotlandEngland under Edward IIIEngland and FranceThe Armies of Edward III's French WarPart III: Society and PeopleThe Great LordsThe Knights and the GentryLandownership and the LawThe Management of LandThe PeasantryThe TownsTrade and MerchantsCrime and PunishmentPopulation and the Black DeathConclusion

Editorial Reviews

`an admirable blend of clarity and objective empiricism.'Nicholas Vincent, TLS