Pretty Girl-13

Paperback | March 18, 2014

byLiz Coley

not yet rated|write a review

Reminiscent of the Elizabeth Smart case, Pretty Girl-13 is a disturbing and powerful psychological thriller about a girl who must piece together the mystery of her kidnapping and abuse. Perfect for fans of books like Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why, Elizabeth Scott's Living Dead Girl, and Caroline B. Cooney's The Face on the Milk Carton series, Pretty Girl-13 is a haunting yet ultimately uplifting story about the healing power of courage, hope, and love.

Angie Chapman was thirteen years old when she ventured into the woods on a Girl Scout camping trip. Now she's returned home . . . only to find that it's three years later and she's sixteen—or at least that's what everyone tells her. What happened to the last three years of her life? With a tremendous amount of courage, Angie embarks on a journey to discover the fragments of her lost time. She eventually discovers a terrifying secret and must decide: what do you do when you remember things you wish you could forget?

Pricing and Purchase Info

$11.94 online
$12.50 list price
In stock online
Ships free on orders over $25
Prices may vary. why?
Please call ahead to confirm inventory.

From the Publisher

Reminiscent of the Elizabeth Smart case, Pretty Girl-13 is a disturbing and powerful psychological thriller about a girl who must piece together the mystery of her kidnapping and abuse. Perfect for fans of books like Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why, Elizabeth Scott's Living Dead Girl, and Caroline B. Cooney's The Face on the Milk Cart...

From the Jacket

In Liz Coley's alarming and fascinating psychological mystery, sixteen-year-old Angie Chapman must piece together the story of her kidnapping and abuse. Pretty Girl-13 is a disturbing—and ultimately empowering—page-turner about accepting our whole selves, and the healing power of courage, hope, and love.

Liz Coley's short fiction has appeared inCosmosmagazine and speculative fiction anthologies. Her passions beyond reading and writing include singing, photography, and baking. She plays competitive tennis locally in Ohio to keep herself fit and humble.With a background in science, Liz follows her interest in understanding "the way we wo...

other books by Liz Coley

PRETTY GIRL13
PRETTY GIRL13

Hardcover|Feb 4 2014

$2.00 online$19.99list price
Tor Maddox: Embedded
Tor Maddox: Embedded

Kobo ebook|Mar 1 2016

$4.02

Out of Xibalba
Out of Xibalba

Kobo ebook|Jun 28 2011

$5.18

see all books by Liz Coley
Format:PaperbackDimensions:352 pages, 8 × 5.31 × 0.88 inPublished:March 18, 2014Publisher:HarperCollinsLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:006212739X

ISBN - 13:9780062127396

Customer Reviews of Pretty Girl-13

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Really Interesting I really liked this book, the plot and characters were good. I loved how Liz Coley wrote this book using DID a real life problem people are faced with today as the main idea and turned it in to a story full of emotion. I would recommend this boom to anyone
Date published: 2016-11-13
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Awesome Book!! Read this book a couple years ago and read it in 3 days, so good, can't get enough, it gets so detailed, its really good, read it!!
Date published: 2016-11-10
Rated 2 out of 5 by from Review from This is the Story of My(Reading) Life The story was interesting enough. I've not read a contemporary novel that focuses on DID. But the writing lacked emotion. In theory this book could have been a pretty emotionally heartbreaking story. But with the simplistic and choppy writing it was hard to connect to Angie or her terrible ordeal. Add in the lack of emotion in 90% of Angie's thoughts as well as any of the characters. In fact half of them treated it like a joke(her kidnapping). The seriousness of Angie's situation was missing. Which in turn had this one missing the mark for me.
Date published: 2015-08-05
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Such a beautifully written mystery Liz did her research and did it well. Especially during chapter 2 where she's being examined. Her writing is very easy, very fluid and you feel like you've been transported in Angie's world, forgetting about your reality. You're literally dropped into the mystery surrounding Angie and at first you're just as disoriented as her. There are different clues as to the horrors that could come to be. Now I don't know about you, but when there's a problem to solve, my mind will fast forward with a million different scenarios, starting small then enlarging into one big mountain of a mole hill. It just so happened that one of my most extreme predictions turned out to be the biggest twist in the book. There was emphasis being portrayed and when that happens you know something is up. I'm still a little shocked about it. I know this happens to people all over the world, but to almost become a shadow in Angie's life was terribly traumatic. Kate is one of those wonderful best friends with a good head on her shoulders and that's exactly what Angie needs. The prologue in the beginning is frightening, terrifying and something most girls should never ever experience. Being told in second point of view is unique and I felt the hairs on my body rise when reading it. I'm thoroughly fascinated with alters. Having it displayed in a book like this makes it even better. Multiple personalities all living in one body, I just can't understand or fathom how crowded it would be to live that. I found it fascinating having her mind still be 13 years old, while her physical body is 16. Psychology plays a big part in Pretty Girl-13. Liz describes it in such a simple and easy way that you have no trouble understanding it at all. If anyone noticed the title also states PG-13, because the issues in this book is very adult and psychologically damaging. I can't stop thinking about this book either, it gave me major book hangover.
Date published: 2014-10-22
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Strange Heroine.. But An Absolutely Gorgeous Novel! Just like the summary says, this was a disturbing novel. Make sure that you're ready for something totally creepy and vicious, unlike most mystery stories.  I had really low expectations for this novel, but I really wanted to give it a try because of its interesting cover (how can I not say that?) and it's suspenseful summary. I mean, when do we find a mystery story where the heroine goes missing and unexpectedly shows up back home again? Let me tell you, that doesn't hardly happen, even in reality today. We usually find the body inside a body of water. :l Angela was... disgusting. I hated her as a heroine. Although she was going through a severe memory loss and trauma, the author over-exaggerated with her personality. I felt like I was reading about a four year old protagonist! This "heroine," if you even would call her that, was absolutely disturbing. She had almost no sense and her, and her mommy was her only hope, seriously. This is a teen novel, if you want to make the protagonist go through memory loss, then make it at least a little more mature, please. The whole mystery itself was horrifying, but in a good and natural way. I really enjoy reading mysteries that have some romance and more of a decent plot that turns toward teenagers today without going too "detective-like," and Pretty Girl-13 was definitely one of those. There were many plot twists, and mysteries within the mystery of the book.  Creepifying and wicked!
Date published: 2014-04-01
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Fell headfirst into it! Right from the start, I dove right into this book. When I started resenting any interruption that took me away from it I knew it was gonna be good. Angie appears at her home after a three year absence - or so everyone tells her. She remembers nothing: in fact, it feels like she was away for only a couple days, on a girl scout camping trip. Soon it becomes clear that terrible things have happened to her, and she is keeping it a secret from everyone...including herself. She is faced with the task of rebuilding her life after the trauma of being held captive for three years, as well as dealing with secrets that are being released one by one by her mind. Extremely absorbing book, and well written too.
Date published: 2013-03-25

Extra Content

Editorial Reviews

“A story of survival and resilience that will haunt you long after you turn the last page.”