$15.68 online 
$18.99 list price save 17%
Earn 78 plum® points
Quantity:

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Available in stores

about

A gripping novel based on the astonishing true story of a boy who survived ten concentration camps.

Based on the true story by Ruth and Jack Gruener.

10 concentration camps.

10 different places where you are starved, tortured, and worked mercilessly.

It's something no one could imagine surviving.

But it is what Yanek Gruener has to face.

As a Jewish boy in 1930s Poland, Yanek is at the mercy of the Nazis who have taken over. Everything he has, and everyone he loves, have been snatched brutally from him. And then Yanek himself is taken prisoner - his arm tattooed with the words PRISONER B-3087.

He is forced from one nightmarish concentration camp to another, as World War II rages all around him. He encounters evil he could have never imagined, but also sees surprising glimpses of hope amid the horror. He just barely escapes death, only to confront it again seconds later.

Can Yanek make it through the terror without losing his hope, his will - and, most of all, his sense of who he really is inside?

Alan Gratz is the author of a number of books, including Samurai Shortstop, which was named one of the ALA's 2007 Top Ten Best Books for Young Adults, and The Brooklyn Nine, which was among Booklist's Top Ten Sports Books and Top Ten Historical Books for Youth in 2010. A native of Knoxville, Tennessee, Alan is now a full-time writer li...
Title:Prisoner B-3087Format:HardcoverDimensions:272 pages, 8.37 × 5.54 × 0.98 inPublished:March 1, 2013Publisher:SCHOLASTIC INCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:054545901X

ISBN - 13:9780545459013

Look for similar items by category:

Reviews

Rated 4 out of 5 by from Required reading for high school students? This book deals with the Jews of Poland during the second world war. It is detailed without being offensive to young readers. He captures the details while keeping you engaged. As time moves away from these events, I think making this mandatory reading for secondary school students is a must.
Date published: 2015-09-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by from A Touching, Moving Story from the Holocaust World War II has definitely changed the way we look at the world and reality today. It has killed hundreds of thousands of poor people who didn't do anything wrong and were just standing up for their religions and living their lives. Yanek's story was touching and will stay in mine, and many other young and old, people's hearts.    This is the type of story that makes you realize how many good books are out there today. This may be fiction, but it is based on a true story, and has a deep meaning to it. It made me have tears in my eyes, and I almost couldn't have wished for a better faithful story.     Yanek was an amazing character. He didn't know what he was capable of, but he had so much strength in him. He made me so... tearful and made me realize that the war was so bad. His "words" were so joyful even when the times were tough. The concentration camps were horrible and his thoughts and words, just like many World War II protagonists in books were absolutely unstoppable.     I loved this book so much. It means so much to me to have read such a beautiful book like this. <3
Date published: 2014-03-13
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Heartbreaking and informative It doesn’t matter how often you read these stories. They get me every time. The horror of it all is unspeakable. Prisoner B-3087 is a powerful and moving story. We’re all familiar with the concentration camps in World War II. I can’t even begin to imagine how horrible it would have been to be in one. Let alone ten different ones like our protagonist, Yanek. I have read a lot of books on WWII but I’ve never read such an incredible survey of so many different camps. It seems like Yanek has seen it all. The Polish ghettos, Auschwitz, Dachau, the salt mines, not one but two death marches. He even came to face to face with Amon Goeth and Joseph Mengele. This is a true story of survival despite all odds. One thing that really stands out about Prisoner B-3087 is the simple writing style. This book is aimed at 10-14 years old and I think it is perfect for the age group. It’s never overly explicit in the details – but it doesn’t need to be. The reader doesn’t need a play by play of every violent act to understand how horrific the story is. I also appreciated that the author didn’t add any fancy frills or turn of phrase to the account. I think this kind of story works best when it is straight forward and honest and I think young readers will appreciate that. Prisoner B-3087 is the kind of book that makes you sit back and think. It made me thankful for everything I have. And it served as a much needed reminder that we can’t ever forget. This should never happen again and yet similar crimes and genocides keep cropping up all over the world. We still need books like Prisoner B-3087 to help get that point across to new generations. Recommendation: A great book for those just learning about the Holocaust. Highly recommended for middle grade classrooms and libraries. This and other reviews at More Than Just Magic (http://morethanjustmagic.org)
Date published: 2013-03-14

Read from the Book

From Prisoner B-3087:I looked out through the cracks of the crawlspace. Goeth was coming closer, all shining black leather boots and crisp black uniform. One of his dogs lifted its ears and looked right at me.I pulled back away from the wall. "We're trapped. We have to get out of here." I was almost choking onmy own fear."And go where?" Thomas hissed. "If we leave, they'll find us in the barrack!""I don't care. We can't be caught here."I pushed my way up and out of the crawlspace. I gasped, filling my lungs. But if I didn't really want to die, I had to move quickly. My heart was thumping, but it made me feel alive, and feeling alive made me want to stay alive.

Editorial Reviews

Praise for Prisoner B-3087 "This is an extraordinary, memorable and hopeful saga told in unflinching prose . . . A bone-chilling tale not to be ignored." &mdas; Kirkus "Gratz ably conveys Yanek''s incredulity ("Not long ago, all these half-dead creatures around me had been people"), fatalism, yearning, and determination in the face of the unimaginable." - Publishers Weekly