Pro SQL Data Services is your single source of information to get started developing applications against the database of Microsoftâ??s new cloud-based Azure Services Platform. SQL Data Services rests upon the solid foundation of SQL Server 2008, exposing most of the SQL Server functionality and features that you already know how to use. But having your database in the cloud does require some new ways of thinking about your data and how it is managed.
In Pro SQL Data Services, author David Robinson covers everything you need to move your database to the cloud. Youâ??ll learn about the Azure Services Platform, its advantages, and when it is best used. Youâ??ll read about the mechanics of subscribing to the platform, of provisioning your first server, and of connecting your applications to your database. Perhaps most important, David walks you through important design considerations when working in the cloud. Where will your application code live? Do you choose a code near or code far model? What about performance problems and troubleshooting? David covers all these topics and more, putting you in the best possible position to take full advantage of the power and flexibility inherent in SQL Data Servicesâ?? cloud-based architecture.
- Covers all you need to deploy your SQL Server database to the cloud
- Helps you make important design and scalability decisions
- Contains comprehensive, authoritative content, as it was written by a Microsoft senior program manager on the SQL Data Services team
What you'll learn
- Deploy and manage SQL Data Services databases in the cloud within Microsoftâ??s Azure Services Platform.
- React quickly and nimbly to changes in user demand and your business.
- Access your data using industry-standard tools and protocols.
- Promote scalability through techniques such as sharding and partitioning.
- Troubleshoot and solve performance problems.
Who is this book for?
Pro SQL Data Services is written for developers and database administrators using the Azure Services Platform who need a reliable and scalable database service. The book shows how to deploy databases into the cloud and how to take advantage of the almost instantaneous scalability provided by Microsoft SQL Data Services.
About the Apress Pro Series
The Apress Pro series books are practical, professional tutorials to keep you on and moving up the professional ladder.
You have gotten the job, now you need to hone your skills in these tough competitive times. The Apress Pro series expands your skills and expertise in exactly the areas you need. Master the content of a Pro book, and you will always be able to get the job done in a professional development project. Written by experts in their field, Pro series books from Apress give you the hard–won solutions to problems you will face in your professional programming career.