The European Conference on Complex Systems, held under the patronage of the Complex Systems Society, is an annual event that has become the leading European conference devoted to complexity science. ECCS'12, its ninth edition, took place in Brussels, during the first week of September 2012. It gathered about 650 scholars representing a wide range of topics relating to complex systems research, with emphasis on interdisciplinary approaches. More specifically, the following tracks were covered:
1. Foundations of Complex Systems
2. Complexity, Information and Computation
3. Prediction, Policy and Planning, Environment
4. Biological Complexity
5. Interacting Populations, Collective Behavior
6. Social Systems, Economics and Finance
This book contains a selection of the contributions presented at the conference and its satellite meetings. Its contents reflect the extent, diversity and richness of research areas in the field, both fundamental and applied.