Queen Victoria 1819-1901

Paperback | January 9, 2012

byRichard Rivington Holmes

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1901. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER VI. MARRIED LIFE, 1840-52. Royalty claims much from, and lays heavy burdens on, those who have to sustain its duties and responsibilities. Little time can be given to rest and repose, and in the case of the Queen and Prince Albert the privacy, which newly married subjects are privileged to enjoy for weeks, was, after four short days, exchanged for the routine of State ceremonial and public business. The Court returned to London on the 14th of February, and addresses were received both by the Queen and the Prince from the two Houses of Parliament, and other bodies. In the evenings State dinners were given and visits paid to the theatres. On the 19th the first levee was held, at which the Prince, as on all subsequent occasions, led the Queen in, and stood on her left hand. On the 7th of March the Prince received and personally answered no less than twenty-seven addresses. In writing to his grandmother he remarks: "It is not to be told what a quantity of presentations I have, and how many people I must become acquainted with. I cannot yet quite remember their faces, but this will come right. After the last levee, Victoria gave me the Order of the Bath." The Prince had already received the Garter, and had been made a Field-Marshal in the British Army. He was, in addition, appointed Colonel of the nth Regiment of Light Dragoons, which regiment then received and still bears the title of Prince Albert's Own Hussars. His Royal Highness's household had also by this time been appointed. On this subject he had expressed a very earnest wish in a letter to the Queen on the 10th of December, 1839: "Now I come to a second point which you touch upon in your letter, and which I have also much at heart; I mean the choice of the persons who are to belong to my household. T...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1901. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER VI. MARRIED LIFE, 1840-52. Royalty claims much from, and lays heavy burdens on, those who have to sustain its duties and resp...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:74 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.15 inPublished:January 9, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217979203

ISBN - 13:9780217979207

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Queen Victoria 1819-1901

Reviews