Reminiscenes and Notices of Fourteen Parishes of the County of Haddington

Paperback | January 31, 2012

byJohn Martine

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1890. Excerpt: ... PARISH OF NORTH BERWICK. HE name of North Berwick is stated by some etymologists to have arisen in this way. Aber is well known in old Celtic language to signify the termination, or mouth of a river, and wick a town, hence the name Berwick, dropping the initial letter, which is retained in Aberdeen, Abernethy, Aberbrothwick, Aberdour, all taken from rivers in their respective neighbourhoods. This also is descriptive of the situation of the town of North Berwick, on a corner or angle of land at the mouth of the Firth of Forth. It is called North Berwick to distinguish it from Berwick-on-Tweed, which is called South Berwick in old charters of the twelfth to fourteenth centuries. Chalmers, again, in his Caledonia, states that in early charters it was called Barwick or Barewic, the bare or naked village, appropriate, as he conceives, to the site of North Berwick, which stands on the naked shore of the Forth. The parish consists of a royal burgh and a landward district, and extends three miles from west to east, and two and one half miles from north to south. It is bounded on the north by the Firth of Forth, on the east by the parish of Whitekirk, on the south by a small part of Prestonkirk, on the west by Dirleton, and on the north by the German Ocean and partly by Auldhame, an ancient parish now joined with Whitekirk and Tyninghame. There are thirteen farms in the parish containing 3456 acres, averaging 263 each. The soil is in general rich and fertile, producing large crops of all the cereals. Potatoes and turnips are cultivated to a large extent, and grow of the finest quality. The farmers are noted for their science, skill, and careful husbandry. The rocks found in the parish are sandstone of a reddish colour, of which Tantallon Castle was built; trap and...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1890. Excerpt: ... PARISH OF NORTH BERWICK. HE name of North Berwick is stated by some etymologists to have arisen in this way. Aber is well know...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:86 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.18 inPublished:January 31, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217270646

ISBN - 13:9780217270649

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Reminiscenes and Notices of Fourteen Parishes of the County of Haddington

Reviews