Renaissance In Italy Volume 5: The Catholic reaction(2 v.) by John Addington Symonds

Renaissance In Italy Volume 5: The Catholic reaction(2 v.)

byJohn Addington Symonds

Paperback | October 12, 2012

not yet rated|write a review

Pricing and Purchase Info

$33.50

Earn 168 plum® points

Out of stock online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1900 edition. Excerpt: ...to a city never distinguished for delicacy of taste, and to a generation which was rapidly losing the sense of artistic reserve, suffices to explain the crude brutality of the conceptions which he formed of tragic episodes.2 The same may be said about all those horrible pictures of tortures, martyrdoms, and acts of violence which were produced by the dozen in Italy at this epoch. We turn from them with loathing. They inspire neither terror nor pity, only the sickness of the shambles. And yet it would be unjust to ascribe their unimaginative ghastliness to any special love of cruelty. This evil element may be rationally deduced from false dramatic instinct and perverted habits of brooding sensuously on our Lord's Passion, in mmds deprived of the right feeling for artistic beauty. Probably Domenichino thought that he was surpassing Titian's Peter Martyr when he painted his hard and hideous 1 I allude to the Tintoretto in S. Maria dell' Orto at Venice, and to the Luini in the Monastero Maggiore at Milan. Yet the model of Luuri's S. Catherine was the infamous Contessa di Cellant, who murdered her husband and some lovers, and was beheaded for her crimes in Milan. This fact demonstrates the value of the model in the hands of an artist capable of using it. 2 When I assert that the age was losing the sense of artistic reserve, I wish to refer back to what I have written about Marino, the dictator of the age in matters of taste. See above, pp. 152-153. FALSE DRAMATIC IMPULSE 221 parody of thai great picture. Yet Titian had already touched the extreme verge of allowable realisation, and his work belonged to the sphere of high pictorial art mainly by right of noble treatment. Of this noble treatment, and of the harmonious colouring which shed a...

Details & Specs

Title:Renaissance In Italy Volume 5: The Catholic reaction(2 v.)Format:PaperbackDimensions:150 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.32 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217977871

ISBN - 13:9780217977876

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Renaissance In Italy Volume 5: The Catholic reaction(2 v.)

Reviews