Retrospections Of America, 1791-1811 Volume 50,

Paperback | February 9, 2012

byJohn Bernard

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1886 Excerpt: ... CHAPTER XIV. Excursion to Vermont.--Concord and Discord.--Monsieur Mallet.--State Characteristics.--Milestones and Finger-posts; an Irish Finger-post.--Burlington.--A Vermont Farmer; his Dinner and Conversation.--A Musician.--A Medical Iunkeeper; his One Story.--Saratoga Springs.--Sail up the Hudson.--New Engagements.--General Humphreys and Humphreysville.--Connecticut Laws.--A Silent Town.--Profiting by a Fine.--Return to Boston.--1808 Season.--Stirring in a Matter.--" The Pilgrims."--General Theatrical Depression.--The Indian and the African.--Love and Liquor.--The Three Warnings.--The Two John Gilpins.--1809.--Boston.--Failure and Disappointment.--A New Comedy; its Prologue.--Barrett's Last Act.--Graduated Ingenuity.--Yankee Anecdotes.--Borrowing a Horse.--Buying Brandy.--Stars.--" The Forty Thieves."--Contemplated Changes. As the spring advanced my health gradually improved, and my hopes increased of retrieving during the summer some of the time I had lost. My partners, Powell and Dickinson, now proposed to me an excursion through Vermont, with a small company and a limited wardrobe, to give an entertainment of play and farce. As this promised to be a successful trip I agreed to go, purchased a light little travelling carriage for my wife and self, and left The Lodge, our country residence, in possession of a friend, who promised to get my hay in and send my fruit to market. Our party, consisting of Powell, Dickinson, and their wives, Mallet, Morgan, myself, and Mrs. Graupner, set off from Boston in three travelling-carriages and in the best spirits and expectations. Mallet merely played--his instrument--and Mrs. Graupner was only a singer. The remaining six, therefore, had need to have had each the versatility of a Garrick in order to assume the variet...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$28.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1886 Excerpt: ... CHAPTER XIV. Excursion to Vermont.--Concord and Discord.--Monsieur Mallet.--State Characteristics.--Milestones and Finger-posts;...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:116 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.24 inPublished:February 9, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:021786550X

ISBN - 13:9780217865500

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Retrospections Of America, 1791-1811 Volume 50,

Reviews