Roland Cashel (volume 1) by Charles James LeverRoland Cashel (volume 1) by Charles James Lever

Roland Cashel (volume 1)

byCharles James Lever

Paperback | February 2, 2012

Pricing and Purchase Info

$30.95

Earn 155 plum® points

Out of stock online

Not available in stores

about

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1894. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER XII. THE GREAT KENNYFECK DINNER. There were lords and ladies,--I saw myself,--A duke with his Garter, a knight with his Guelph. "Orders "--as bright as the eye could see, The " Golden Fleece," and the " Saint Esprit;" Black Eagles, and Lions, and even a Lamb, Such an odd-looking thing--from the great " Nizam;" Shamrocks and Thistles there were in a heap, And the Legion of Honor from " Louis Philippe," So I asked myself--Does it not seem queer, What can bring this goodly company here'! Mrs. Thorpe's Fete at Twickenham. Although Mrs; Kennyfeck's company were invited for seven o'clock, it was already something more than half-past ere the first guest made his appearance, and he found himself alone in the drawing-room; Mrs. Kennyfeck, who was a very shrewd observer of everything in high life, having remembered that it twice occurred to herself and Mr. K. to have arrived the first at the Secretary's "Lodge," in the Park, and that the noble hostess did not descend till at least some two or three others had joined them. The "first man " to a dinner is the next most miserable thing to the "last man" at leaving it. The cold air of solitude, the awkwardness of seeming too eager to be punctual, the certainty, almost inevitable, that the next person who arrives is perfectly odious to you, and that you will have to sustain a tete-a-tete with the man of all others you dislike,--all these are the agreeables of the first man; but he who now had to sustain them was, happily, indifferent to their tortures. He was an old, very deaf gentleman, who had figured at the dinner-tables of the capital for half a century, on no one plea that any one could discover, save that he was a "Right Honorable." The privilege of sitting at the Council had conferred the far pleasauter o...
Title:Roland Cashel (volume 1)Format:PaperbackDimensions:132 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.28 inPublished:February 2, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217983685

ISBN - 13:9780217983686

Reviews