Russian Folk-tales (volume 9)

Paperback | February 2, 2012

byWilliam Ralston Shedden Ralston

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1873. Excerpt: ... please. We may, perhaps be allowed to designate them by the well-known name of Swan-Maidens, though they do not always assume, together with their plumage-robes, the form of swans, but sometimes appear as geese, ducks, spoonbills, or aquatic birds of some other species. They are, for the most part, the daughters of the Morskoi Tsar, or Water King--a being who plays an important part in Slavonic popular fiction. He is of a somewhat shadowy form, and his functions are not very clearly defined, for the part he usually fills is sometimes allotted to Koshchei or to the Snake, but the stories generally represent him as a patriarchal monarch, living in subaqueous halls of light and splendour, whence he emerges at times to seize a human victim. It is generally a boy whom he gets into his power, and who eventually obtains the hand of one of his daughters, and escapes with her to the upper world, though not without considerable difficulty. Such are, for instance, the leading incidents in the following skazka, many features of which closely resemble those of various well-known WestEuropean folk-tales. The Water K1ng And Vasil1ssa The W1se.1 Once upon a time there lived a King and Queen, and the King was very fond of hunting and shooting. Well, one day he went out hunting, and he saw an Eaglet sitting on an oak. But just as he was going to shoot at it the Eaglet began to entreat him, crying: 'Don't shoot me, my lord King! better take me home with you; some time or other I shall be of service to you.' The King reflected awhile and said, ' How can you be of use to me?' and again he was going to shoot. Afanasief, v. No. 23. From the Voroneje Government. Then the Eaglet said to him a second rime: 'Don't shoot me, my lord King! better take me home with you; some time or o...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$28.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1873. Excerpt: ... please. We may, perhaps be allowed to designate them by the well-known name of Swan-Maidens, though they do not always assume,...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:114 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.24 inPublished:February 2, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217042996

ISBN - 13:9780217042994

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Russian Folk-tales (volume 9)

Reviews