Sermons (volume 1)

Paperback | February 3, 2012

bySamuel Horsley

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1812. Excerpt: ... SERMON II. MATTHEW, XXIV. 3. w Tell us when shall these things be; and what shall be the signs of thy coming, and of the end of the world? " I Proceed in my inquiry into the general importance of the phrase of " the coming of the Son of Man " in the Scriptures of the New Testament. I have shown, that in the epistles, wherever our Lord's coming is mentioned, as an expectation that should operate through hope to patience and perseverance, or through fear to vigilance and caution, it is to be understood literally of his coming in person to the generai judgment. I have yet to consider the usual import of the same phrase in the gospels. I shall consider the passages wherein a figure hath been supposed, omitting those where the sense is universally confessed to be literal. When our Lord, after his resurrection, was pleased to intimate to St Peter the death by which it was ordained that he should glorify God, St Peter had the weak curiosity to inquire what might be St John's destiny. " Lord, what shall this man do? " Jesus saith unto him, if I will that he tarry till J come, what is that to thee? Follow thou me." The disciples understood this answer as a prediction that St John was not to die; which seems to prove, what is much to our purpose, that in the enlightened period which immediately followed our Lord's ascension, the expression of his coming was taken in its literal meaning. This interpretation of the reply to St Peter was set aside by the event. In extreme old age, the disciple whom Jesus loved was taken for ever to the bosom of his Lord. But the Christians of that time being fixed in a habit of interpreting the reply to St Peter as a prediction concerning the term of St John's life, began to affix a figurative meaning to the expression of " our Lord'...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1812. Excerpt: ... SERMON II. MATTHEW, XXIV. 3. w Tell us when shall these things be; and what shall be the signs of thy coming, and of the end o...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:58 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.12 inPublished:February 3, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217047890

ISBN - 13:9780217047890

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Sermons (volume 1)

Reviews