The Top-Selling, De Facto Guide to SOA--Now Updated with New Content and Coverage of Microservices!
For more than a decade, Thomas Erl’s best-selling Service-Oriented Architecture: Concepts, Technology, and Design has been the definitive end-to-end tutorial on SOA, service-orientation, and service technologies. Now, Erl has thoroughly updated the industry’s de facto guide to SOA to reflect new practices, technologies, and strategies that have emerged through hard-won experience and creative innovation.
This Second Edition officially introduces microservices and micro task abstraction as part of service-oriented architecture and its associated service layers. Updated case study examples and illustrations further explain and position the microservice model alongside and in relation to more traditional types of services.
• Easy-to-understand, plain English explanations of SOA and service-orientation fundamentals (as compiled from series titles)
• Microservices, micro task abstraction, and containerization
• Service delivery lifecycle and associated phases
• Analysis and conceptualization of services and microservices
• Service API design with REST services, web services, and microservices
• Modern service API and contract versioning techniques for web services and REST services
• Up-to-date appendices with service-orientation principles, REST constraints, and SOA patterns (including three new patterns)
Service-Oriented Architecture: Analysis and Design for Services and Microservices, Second Edition, will be indispensable to application architects, enterprise architects, software developers, and any IT professionals interested in learning about or responsible for designing or implementing modern-day, service-oriented solutions.
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Case Study Backgrounds
Part I: Fundamentals
Chapter 3: Understanding Service-Orientation
Chapter 4: Understanding SOA
Chapter 5: Understanding Layers with Services and Microservices
Part II: Service-Oriented Analysis and Design
Chapter 6: Analysis and Modeling with Web Services and Microservices
Chapter 7: Analysis and Modeling with REST Services and Microservices
Chapter 8: Service API and Contract Design with Web Services
Chapter 9: Service API and Contract Design with REST Services and Microservices
Chapter 10: Service API and Contract Versioning with Web Services and REST Services
Part III: Appendices
Appendix A: Service-Orientation Principles Reference
Appendix B: REST Constraints Reference
Appendix C: SOA Design Patterns Reference
Appendix D: The Annotated SOA Manifesto