Soldier And Dramatist Volume 640; Being The Letters Of Harold Chapin, American Citizen, Who Died…

Paperback | February 8, 2012

byHarold Chapin

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1917 Excerpt: ... LETTERS FROM FRANCE. To his Wife. France, March 18th, 1915. Here we are in France--journey not finished yet. We had an ideal crossing--and a most amazing one. I believe every square yard of the Channel has its own British T.B. Destroyer--queer black shapes with rectangular outlines, hard and well drawn against the dark sky or the streams of light from more distant warships. I never saw one in detail with the light upon it--always in silhouette against the light. We steamed with lights out nearly all the way. I slept on deck--not over warm--but I kept getting up to see the latest sight as one or other called me and so kept warm. We are fed on Bully Beef (ordinary Fray Bentos, you know the brand) and lovely hard biscuits which I adore. Last night I added to my menu a bloater and some bread and marmalade, "duff " and coffee--having scraped an acquaintance with some of the engine room artificers who invited me to sup in the fo'castle. It was very hot in there but we supped in low neck. Great fun! Bye bye--Love to my blessed boy--Try to read him as much of my letters as he will understand. I do miss him so and I want him to hear about me all he can so's we shan't be strangers when we meet next. Rubbish I know, but still I'm not quite joking. He's growing so fast. An unfortunate officer has got to read this and a hundred more letters, so I'll cut it short. Bless you. France, March 22nd, 1915. Dearest. We took four days to get here, but here we are at last. "Here " being a little hamlet of farms, estaminets and shops, with the usual Mairie and Church, into every barn and spare room of which we are packed like sardines. It is now Sunday. We have shifted our billet three times in the three days we have been here, each change being for the better until last night we ...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1917 Excerpt: ... LETTERS FROM FRANCE. To his Wife. France, March 18th, 1915. Here we are in France--journey not finished yet. We had an ideal cro...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:56 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.12 inPublished:February 8, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217874940

ISBN - 13:9780217874946

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Soldier And Dramatist Volume 640; Being The Letters Of Harold Chapin, American Citizen, Who Died For England At Loos On September 26th, 1915

Reviews