Southern Soldier Stories (volume 1-3)

Paperback | January 8, 2012

byGeorge Cary Eggleston

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1898. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... niggas, nuther. Ise black, I is. Dat's sho'. Ain't got no bacon-rind shine in my skin; but I jes' tell yer what, mastah, Phil kin jes' take the very shut offen dem shiny niggas an' hoff an' hoff niggas, when't comes to de wuk. Drive? Kin I? Kin Phil drive? What yer mean, mastah, by axin' such a question?" Nobody had asked Phil such a question; but Phil had some remarks that he wanted to make on the subject of his accomplishments in this respect, and was disposed to answer what he wished somebody would ask. "Drive? Co'se I kin. Der never was a hoss ner mule yit whatever had a mouf an' two laigs dat Phil can't han'le, an' yer better b'lieve, mastah, Phil can plaunt de wheel 'twix' de acorn an' de shell." If I report Phil's boastings, it is only because they constitute too large a proportion of what he said to be omitted. I do so to confirm, not to gainsay them, or to hold their author up to ridicule. He was my friend, the faithfulest one I ever knew, and now he is dead. If he boasted now and then, no one could have had a better right. His was the pride of performance, and not the vanity of pretension. Phil was a Virginian -- and a gentleman in his way -- and a slave, though I doubt if he ever suspected his gentility, or felt his bondage as a burden in the least. He had no aspirations for freedom or for anything else, I think, except jollity and comfort. I do not say that this was well, but it was a fact. My acquaintance with Phil began when I was a half-grown boy. Until that time I had lived in a free state, so that when I had returned to the land of my fathers, and become an inmate of the old family mansion in one of the south-side counties of Virginia, the plantation negro was a fresh and very interesting study to me. On the morning after my arrival, as...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1898. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... niggas, nuther. Ise black, I is. Dat's sho'. Ain't got no bacon-rind shine in my skin; but I jes' tell yer what, mastah, Phi...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:50 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.1 inPublished:January 8, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217054358

ISBN - 13:9780217054355

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Southern Soldier Stories (volume 1-3)

Reviews