Standard Catholic Readers Volume 5

Paperback | July 10, 2012

byMary E. Doyle

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1909 edition. Excerpt: ...To my poor heart to-day, And eager from His throne He bends To hear what I shall say.--Father Russell, S.J. THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER IN EARLY TIMES France formerly possessed in North America a vast empire, extending from Labrador to the Floridas, and from the shores of the Atlantic to the shores of the most distant lakes of Upper Canada. Four great rivers, deriving their sources from the same mountains, divided these immense regions: the river St. Lawrence, which is lost to the east in the gulf of that name, the Western River, whose waters flow on to seas unknown, the river Bourbon, which runs from south to north into Hudson's Bay; and the Mississippi, whose waters fall from north to south into the Gulf of Mexico. The last-named river, in its course of more than a thousand leagues, waters a delicious country, called by the inhabitants of the United States the new Eden, to which the French left the pretty appellation of Louisiana. A thousand other rivers, tributaries of the Mississippi,--the Missouri, the Illinois, the Arkansas, the Wabash, the Tennessee,--enrich it with their mud and fertilize it with their waters. When all these rivers have been swollen by the deluges of winter, uprooted trees, forming large portions of forest torn by tempests, crowd about their sources. In a short time the mud cements the torn trees together, and they become enchained by creepers, which, taking root in every direction, bind and consolidate the debris. Carried away by the foaming waves, the rafts descend to the Mississippi, which, taking possession of them, hurries them down toward the Gulf of Mexico, throws them upon' sand banks, and so increases tlu number of its mouths. At intervals the swollen river raises its voice while passing over the resistless heaps, and...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1909 edition. Excerpt: ...To my poor heart to-day, And eager from His throne He bends To hear what I shall say.--Father Russell, S.J. THE MISSISS...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:100 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.21 inPublished:July 10, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217058833

ISBN - 13:9780217058834

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Standard Catholic Readers Volume 5

Reviews