Stem Lesson Essentials, Grades 3-8: Integrating Science, Technology, Engineering, And Mathematics

Paperback | March 1, 2013

byJo Anne Vasquez, Michael Comer, Cary Sneider

not yet rated|write a review
Integrating Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

STEM Lesson Essentials moves beyond the rhetoric and provides knowledge, tools, models, and examples that make STEM a reality of teaching and learning in classrooms.   

–Rodger Bybee, Executive Director (Retired), Biological Sciences Curriculum Study 

Want to know how to implement authentic STEM teaching and learning into your classroom? STEM Lesson Essentials provides all the tools and strategies you’ll need to design integrated, interdisciplinary STEM lessons and units that are relevant and exciting to your students.  With clear definitions of both STEM and STEM literacy, the authors argue that STEM in itself is not a curriculum, but rather a way of organizing and delivering instruction by weaving the four disciplines together in intentional ways.  Rather than adding two new subjects to the curriculum, the engineering and technology practices can instead be blended into existing math and science lessons in ways that engage students and help them master 21st century skills.

STEM Lesson Essentials shows teachers how to begin the STEM integration journey with:

• five guiding principles for effective STEM instruction
  • classroom examples of what these principles look like in action
  • sample activities that put all four STEM fields into practice
  • lesson planning templates for STEM units.

Explicit connections are made among the STEM practices, including the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice and the Framework for K-12 Science Education, helping you easily recognize ways in which STEM lessons can engage students in multiple standards at the same time.

With ideas that are practical and achievable in any classroom, STEM Lesson Essentials will give you the confidence and knowledge to weave engineering and technology concepts into your math and science curriculum.  STEM teaching doesn’t have to be hard.  You just have to get started.  Try it out with STEM Lesson Essentials, and watch student understanding, achievement, and motivation soar.

Pricing and Purchase Info

$35.19 online
$38.76 list price (save 9%)
In stock online
Ships free on orders over $25
Prices may vary. why?
Please call ahead to confirm inventory.

From the Publisher

Integrating Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics STEM Lesson Essentials moves beyond the rhetoric and provides knowledge, tools, models, and examples that make STEM a reality of teaching and learning in classrooms.    –Rodger Bybee, Executive Director (Retired), Biological Sciences Curriculum Study  Want to know ho...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:192 pages, 9.25 × 7.5 × 0.5 inPublished:March 1, 2013Publisher:Pearson EducationLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0325043582

ISBN - 13:9780325043586

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Stem Lesson Essentials, Grades 3-8: Integrating Science, Technology, Engineering, And Mathematics

Reviews

Rated 5 out of 5 by from Outstanding Book! A Must Get! This is a book that I could not put down once I began to read it. I really like how easy it is to read as it makes me feel as if I am in the school itself. The stories that he provides his readers provide me with insight on what he has suggested works and can be done at my school too. One particular point that I want to applaud him on is that he does not make the book exclusively for educators. He suggests that parents, businesses partners and community leaders play a vital role in the development of STEM education. I highly recommend this book to anyone that is serious in learning more about how to prepare children and schools for a new era.
Date published: 2015-09-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Great Book To Learn More About STEM Our school systems are constantly being reminded to prepare our students for the workforce especially in jobs related to science, technology, engineering and math. But how can one go about transforming his or her school to be a STEM school? Dr. Aaron Smith does a fantastic job of laying the foundation to implement such a program. He relays personal experiences, both good and bad, to help teachers and administrators begin or modify their own program initiatives. He stresses heavily that creating a STEM learning environment is a school team effort. Getting teachers, administrators, students and parents on board is not as hard as it may appear especially with Dr. Smith's ideas to garner local business and science community support through viable and sustaining partnerships. Each chapter concludes with ideas in action to keep progress on track. He also includes appendices of valuable resources for lesson planning, technology applications and grant funding resources. Reading this book will definitely inspire and encourage!
Date published: 2015-08-20