Tales And Novels (volume 5)

Paperback | February 8, 2012

byMaria Edgeworth

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1857 Excerpt: ... person; you shall take your own time, and every thing shall be done as you like, and the whole shall be kept amongst ourselves entirely; for nothing is so disadvantageous and distressing to a young woman as to have these things talked of in the world long before they take place." "But, ma'am!--Surely there is no marriage determined upon for me, without my even knowing it." "Determined upon!--Oh dear, no, my darling. You shall decide every thing for yourself." "Thank you, mother; now you are kind indeed." "Indubitably, my dearest Amelia, I would not decide on any thing without consulting you: for I have the greatest dependence on your prudence and judgment. With a silly romantic girl, who had no discretion, I should certainly think it my duty to do otherwise; and if I saw my daughter following headlong some idle fancy of fifteen, I should interpose my authority'at once, and say, It must not be. But I know my Amelia so well, that I am confident she will judge as prudently for herself as I could for her; and indeed, I am persuaded that our opinions will be now, as they almost always are, my sweet girl, the same." "I hope so mamma--but" "Well, well, I'll allow a maidenly but--and you will allow that Sir John Hunter shall be the man at last." "Oh, mamma, that can never be," said Amelia, with much earnestness. "Never--A young lady's never, Amelia, I will allow too. Don't interrupt me, my dear--but give me leave to tell you again, that you shall have your own time--Mr. Palmer has given his consent and approbation." "Consent and approbation!" cried Amelia. "And is it come to this? without even consulting me! And is this the way I am left to judge for myself?--Oh, mother! mother! what will become of me?" Amelia, who had long had experience that it was vain for her t...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$34.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1857 Excerpt: ... person; you shall take your own time, and every thing shall be done as you like, and the whole shall be kept amongst ourselves e...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:160 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.34 inPublished:February 8, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217057268

ISBN - 13:9780217057264

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Tales And Novels (volume 5)

Reviews