Tales And Novels (volume 7); Patronage, V. 15-16: Patronage, v. 15-16

Paperback | February 6, 2012

byMaria Edgeworth

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1850 Excerpt: ... Ah! Gabrielle, without a heart, how safe we should be, how dangerous to our lovers! But, cursed with sensibility, we must, alas! submit to our fate. The habit of loving, le besoin d'aimer, is more powerful than all sense of the folly and the danger. Nor is the tempest of the passions so dreadful as the dead calm of the soul. Why did R suffer my soul to sink into this ominous calm? The fault is his; let him abide the consequence. Why did he not follow me to England? Why did he not write to me? or, when he did write, why were his letters so cold, so spiritless 1 When I spoke of divorce, why did he hesitate? Why did he reason when he should have only felt 1 Tell him, my tender, my delicate friend, these are questions which the heart asks, and which the heart only can answer. Adieu. Olivia. LETTER XXV. MADAME DE P TO OLIVIA. Paris. Je suis excedee! mon cceur. Alive, and but just alive, after such a day of fatigues All morning from one minister to another! then home to my toilet! then a great dinner with a number of foreigners, each to be distinguished--then an Feydeau, where I was obliged to go to support poor S 's play. It would be really insupportable, if it were not for the finest music in the world, which, after all, the French music certainly is. There was a violent party against the piece; and we were so late, that it was just on the point of perishing. My ears have not yet recovered from the horrid noise. In the midst of the tumult I happily, by a master-stroke, turned the fortune of the night. I spied the shawl of an English woman hanging over the box. This, you know, like scarlet to the bull, is sufficient to enrage the Parisian pit. To the shawl I directed the fury of the mob of critics. Luckily for us, the lady was attended only by an Englishman, wh...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$36.50

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated.1850 Excerpt: ... Ah! Gabrielle, without a heart, how safe we should be, how dangerous to our lovers! But, cursed with sensibility, we must, alas!...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:174 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.37 inPublished:February 6, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217999670

ISBN - 13:9780217999670

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Tales And Novels (volume 7); Patronage, V. 15-16: Patronage, v. 15-16

Reviews