Tales And Novels Volume 8: Patronage (concl.); Comic dramas; Leonora; Letters

Paperback | October 12, 2012

byMaria Edgeworth

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1893 edition. Excerpt: ... have a phrase, or a maxim, or a formula ready for every occasion; who follow--" All the nurso and all the priest have taught." And is it possible that Olivia can envy these tideless-blooded souls their happiness--their apathy 1 Is her high spirit so broken by adversity? Not such the promise of her early years, not such the language of her unsophisticated heart! Alas! I scarcely know, I scarcely recollect, that proud self, which was wont to defy the voice of opinion, and to set at nought the decrees of prejudice. The events of my life shall be related, or rather the history of my sensations; for in a life like mine, sensations become events--a metamorphosis which you will see in every page of my history. I feel an irresistible impulse to open my whole heart to you, my dear Leonora. I ought to be awed by the superiority of your understanding and of your character; yet there is an indulgence in your nature, a softness in your temper, that dissipates fear, and irresistibly attracts confidence. You have generously refused to be prejudiced against me by busy, malignant rumour; you have resolved to judge of me for yourself. Nothing, then, shall be concealed. In such circumstances I cannot seek to extenuate any of my faults or follies. I am ready to acknowledge them all with self-humiliation more poignant than the sarcasms of my bitterest enemies. But I must pause till I have summoned courage for my confession. Dear Leonora, adieu! Olivia. 245 LETTER II. " OLIVIA TO LEONORA. of life and spirits, with a heart formed for all the enthusiasm, for all the delicacy of love, I married early, in the fond expectation of meeting a heart suited to my own. Cruelly dis--appointed, I found--merely a husband. My heart recoiled upon itself; true to my own...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$34.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1893 edition. Excerpt: ... have a phrase, or a maxim, or a formula ready for every occasion; who follow--" All the nurso and all the prie...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:162 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.35 inPublished:October 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217999654

ISBN - 13:9780217999656

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Tales And Novels Volume 8: Patronage (concl.); Comic dramas; Leonora; Letters

Reviews