A comprehensive look at the impact of technology on facility managers
Facility managers are tasked with operating and maintaining the built environment. Technology plays a big role in this function, and often facility managers are asked to install, implement, and work with a variety of technologies without any prior experience in information technology.
Technology for Facility Managers presents the cutting-edge technology that facility managers will come across in their careers. Each chapter covers a different technology and includes an overview and basic primer about the technology—the current use of the technology, how it's evolving, and how it will impact the practice of facility management in the future—and is complemented with case studies that address how the technology was implemented and the effect it had on the organization. Technologies covered include:
- Building information modeling (BIM)
- Building automation systems (BAS)
- FM automation (CAFM/IWMS)
- Condition assessment/life cycle analysis
- Radio frequency identification (RFID)
- Geographic information systems (GIS)
- Social networking
- Sustainability and energy analysis
- Information and communications technology (ICT)
- Workflow technology that supports standards such as Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN) and those developed by the Workflow Management Coalition (WfMC)
Technology for Facility Managers is appropriate as a textbook for IFMA Accredited Degree Programs and as a resource for professionals studying for certification through IFMA.