Temple bar Volume 113

Paperback | May 5, 2014

byThomas Frognall Dibdin, George Augustus Sala

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1898 edition. Excerpt: ...upon by him, that all the mock gentility and homage of society detracted from the true dignity and freedom of the individual, and I never heard him employ the term "lady" or "gentleman" to anyone. He was fond of children, retailing their quaint ways in many an amusing anecdote. "I have quite a circle of acquaintance amongst the gamins in Camden. I was walking there the other day when a little boy, whom I suppose I had spoken to and taken some notice of, said to his father, 'There goes a good man.' I turned round and said, 'Don't you be so sure of that,'--the child looked quite abashed." Perhaps the child was nearer the truth than the poet guessed, if humanity at large is destined to gain moral health and strength from his poems, just as the wounded soldiers of the Secession War revived in his invigorating presence, so full of "the august beauty of the strong." Of the ordinary forms of social amusements Walt Whitman fought very shy. Strawberry teas, of which the Americans are very fond, he described as "very stupid things "; "I don't care," he said, "about that kind of thing at all. I like being with those I love, I never get tired of that." On physical perfection and the systematic cultivation of the body he laid great stress--as much so as in his poems. When asked if he had cultivated his body as much when he was a boy as in middle life, he answered--"More so, oh! I used to be more proud when I went to the bath and someone would say that I was the finest-shaped youngster in the bath, than I have been of all my literary admiration since." A favourite summer haunt of the poet's was a farm in New Jersey named Timber Creek. Here he led a perfectly alfresco life, and was more completely in his element than at any other time of the year. He...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$12.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1898 edition. Excerpt: ...upon by him, that all the mock gentility and homage of society detracted from the true dignity and freedom of t...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:114 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.24 inPublished:May 5, 2014Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217158935

ISBN - 13:9780217158930

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of Temple bar Volume 113

Reviews