The Apocalypse Explained (volume 5); Chapters Xiii-xvi: Chapters XIII-XVI

Paperback | January 31, 2012

byEmanuel Swedenborg

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1912. Excerpt: ... ment into pride, and have made thereof images of their abominations and their detestable things; therefore I have made it unto them for an abomination (vii. 19, 20), This treats of the devastation of the church by falsities and evils, which is here meant by " the sword, pestilence, and famine" (verse 15), that were to consume them. The "silver that they shall cast into the streets," and the "gold that shall be for an abomination," signify the truth of the church and its good turned into falsity and evil; " to cast these into the streets" signifies to scatter them, and " to be for an abomination" signifies to be turned into infernal evil, for this is to be for an abomination. "They have turned the gracefulness of their adornment into pride, and have made thereof images of their abominations and their detestable things," signifies that they filled the whole church and its doctrine, and all things that are contained in it, with things profane; "the gracefulness of the adornment" signifying the church and its doctrine; and "images of abominations and of detestable things" signifying all things of it, thus doctrinals, the goods and truths of which have been profaned; "abominations" are goods profaned, and "detestable things" truths profaned. 6 In the same:--Thou didst take the vessels of thy adornment, of my gold and of iny silver which I had given to thee, and madest for thee the images of a male, with which thou couldst commit whoredom (xvi. 17). This is said of "the abominations of Jerusalem," which mean the adulterations of the truth and good of doctrine from the Word; "vessels of adornment of gold and silver" signifying the knowledges of good and truth from the Word; "to make of them images of a male" signifying to make doctrinals from falsities to appear...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$38.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1912. Excerpt: ... ment into pride, and have made thereof images of their abominations and their detestable things; therefore I have made it unto...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:194 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.41 inPublished:January 31, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217062873

ISBN - 13:9780217062879

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of The Apocalypse Explained (volume 5); Chapters Xiii-xvi: Chapters XIII-XVI

Reviews