The Beginnings Of Yale (1701-1726)

Paperback | February 1, 2012

byEdwin Oviatt

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1916. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER XII THE END OF AN ERA I HE Episcopalian irruption having quieted down, and Yale College again under theologically-trustworthy Tutors, the Trustees proceeded again to make a new start. We will recall that the Colony General Assembly, in the Charter of 1701, had not incorporated the Collegiate School, partly because it questioned its power to do so. Even if the Assembly had felt that it had such a power, I it would not have exercised it. The general inclination of the Colony leaders was to keep out of sight so far as Old England was concerned, and to enjoy the privileges they had plucked from the burning and which less fortunate Massachusetts had been deprived of. But the terms of that original document had been ambiguous in language in some places and troublesome in practice in others. Not being incorporated, the Trustees had all along been looked upon by the legislators as mere trustees or "partners" in a private enterprise of general Colony interest. This had been productive of a continued paternal interference on the part of the General Assembly. It had resulted in the acts of the Trustees becoming matters for public revision. As the votes of mere private trustees, these acts had been considered illegal (properly, so we are told on good modern legal authority), unless they were unanimously voted. J We have seen how this legal situation had been a stumbling-block in the settlement of the Collegiate School site, concerning which there had at no time been unanimous faction. The Trustees had found it necessary to sign in a I body all of the minutes of each meeting. If any of the 'Trustees were absent from a meeting, it had been considered! necessary to send around that paper for their signatures, i A Trustee, apparently, could not resign. Nor could ...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$30.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1916. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER XII THE END OF AN ERA I HE Episcopalian irruption having quieted down, and Yale College again under theologically-trus...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:130 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.28 inPublished:February 1, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217378994

ISBN - 13:9780217378994

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of The Beginnings Of Yale (1701-1726)

Reviews