The Countess Faustina Volume 1; A Novel

Paperback | February 12, 2012

byIda Hahn-hahn

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1845 Excerpt: ... CHAPTER III. Clement awoke very uncomfortable, heavy in head, and blank in spirit; the whole of the preceding evening had vanished like fairy gold through his hands; he could recal nothing about it; he summoned his servant, a robust, thick-set lad, whom he had brought from Oberwalldorf. "Johan," said he, "who accompanied me hither last night?" "I do not know, sir." "Did I come alone?" "Oh no, sir! a very tall, pale, gentleman, quite as tall as yourself, sir, but a great deal thinner, and a jager, came with you." "Was I ill, Johan?" "No, sir, not just that," said Johan with a stupid laugh. "Good God!" exclaimed Clement in terror, "and I was in her presence. Incredible! am I then so changed in body and soul, that I can no longer stand even a pitiful drop of wine." "Oh, sir," said Johan amending the phrase, "it must have been much more than a drop of wine!" "I must dress," exclaimed Clement. He did so in haste, and rushed to Mengen's apartment; he hated Mengen, but he wished to know if he had in any way annoyed Faustina, and if he owed that hated Mengen thanks. Mengen was not up, but Clement would take no denial. Mario desired the curtains to be raised; Clement seated himself by his bed, and stared at him speechlessly, for the well known mantle of Faustina lay on the pillow; Mario on being suddenly awakened had forgotten the unlucky mantle, and unable to account for Clement's unqualified astonishment, he waited quietly for an explanation of its cause, and of this early visit. When Walldorf's teeth began to chatter audibly, it occurred to him that Clement might be discomposed by the remembrance of his yesterday's misconduct, and he therefore said in a kind tone:--"This may pass for once, dear Walldorf " "To the devil with it," said Clement wildly, (e this mant...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$19.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1845 Excerpt: ... CHAPTER III. Clement awoke very uncomfortable, heavy in head, and blank in spirit; the whole of the preceding evening had vanis...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:44 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.09 inPublished:February 12, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217580947

ISBN - 13:9780217580946

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of The Countess Faustina Volume 1; A Novel

Reviews