The Dream Thieves: Book 2 of The Raven Cycle by Maggie StiefvaterThe Dream Thieves: Book 2 of The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater

The Dream Thieves: Book 2 of The Raven Cycle

byMaggie Stiefvater

Paperback | September 30, 2014

Pricing and Purchase Info

$10.29 online 
$10.99 list price save 6%
Earn 51 plum® points
Quantity:

In stock online

Ships free on orders over $25

Available in stores

about

The second installment in the acclaimed series from #1 New York Times bestselling author Maggie Stiefvater - now in paperback!

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after . . .

MAGGIE STIEFVATER is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the novels Shiver, Linger, and Forever. Her novel The Scorpio Races was named a Michael L. Printz Honor Book by the American Library Association, while Publishers Weekly selected Maggie's The Raven Boys as a Best Book of the Year. She is also the author of Lament and Ball...
Title:The Dream Thieves: Book 2 of The Raven CycleFormat:PaperbackDimensions:448 pages, 8 × 5.24 × 0.89 inPublished:September 30, 2014Publisher:SCHOLASTIC INCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:054542495X

ISBN - 13:9780545424950

Look for similar items by category:

Reviews

Rated 4 out of 5 by from Great Sequel A very gripping sequel to a good novel; each character has their own secret that are slowly getting revealed in this novel and deepens the plot to new and interesting levels.
Date published: 2017-11-16
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Definitely the best This book is by far my favourite in the series. The whole concept and execution is unlike any other. I love the driving scenes, the character development, and the twist ending.
Date published: 2017-11-15
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Loved IT!!!! An amazing sequel. I really enjoyed my time reading this book. I loved the characters and the story line.
Date published: 2017-10-29
Rated 5 out of 5 by from LOVED THIS I thought the first book was amazing but this one was ten times better. Each book seems to get better and better and I'm super excited to continue the series!
Date published: 2017-10-22
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Better than the first Much more interesting than the first book. The first book had a really great sense of adventure and innocence to it, but the development between the characters in this book, and Ronan's storyline advancing was the most enjoyable part. Once again, the characters are the only thing that made me drag myself through it.
Date published: 2017-09-28
Rated 5 out of 5 by from AMAZING BOOK This book is an amazing second book in the Raven Cycle. I am falling more in love with this series the more I read.
Date published: 2017-09-21
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Love the Plot This one definitely took a turn. I wasn't expecting one of the boys to be "different" than the others. You get to know rowan more. I believe that's his name...he is one of my favourite characters though and this book really shows you that not everything is bright and sunny and everyone has a reason/secret.
Date published: 2017-09-20
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Amazing This was my favourite book of the series, especially with its focus on Ronan. Loved it!
Date published: 2017-09-05
Rated 5 out of 5 by from sensational sequal Dreams and dreamers and mysteries. What's not to love about a book that delves into Ronan's character? You don't really get to know him that well in the first book, but ask anyone who's read the entirety of The Raven Cycle and they'll probably tell you that Ronan is their favourite character. A little slower-paced than the other books, for sure, but it's because it focuses on character development more than anything. It's impossible not to fall in love with Blue and Gansey and Adam and Ronan and Noah.
Date published: 2017-08-22
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Interesting plot It has a very interesting concept and character of Ronan is fascinating! Though Kavinsky line ends with a big WTF moment, the book is still good You can also notice repetition in the plot line. New bad guy and what does he do? Goes to a reading at 300 Fox Way (just like the Whelk in the first book). However, his character (Gray man) is nice and I like the plot twist with him
Date published: 2017-07-10
Rated 3 out of 5 by from It was ok Not sure I'm really a fan of this series. The books only seem to get good close to the end. Before that it's a bit of a struggle for me.
Date published: 2017-06-01
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Even better than the first Ronan is definitely becoming one of my fave characters of all time. Such a magical read!
Date published: 2017-06-01
Rated 3 out of 5 by from Slow This book took me forever to read. Hope the next is better.
Date published: 2017-05-13
Rated 5 out of 5 by from AMAZING BOOK! This was a really good read! It was nice to get more insight into Ronan's character in this novel, and it introduced a completely new element of magic to the series - this series is one of my favourites of all time.
Date published: 2017-04-27
Rated 5 out of 5 by from I love this series so much!! *4.5-4.75 stars* I LOVED THIS!! Some parts were confusing and some parts are still unclear for me but this was still so amazing!! It hurt my heart (IN A GOOD WAY!!) but I wish it was sadder..BUT THE ENDING??WHAT?? I can't wait to read the next book:') oh and I love blue and I love Ronan and I love Gansey and I love Noah and I love Adam..
Date published: 2017-04-08
Rated 3 out of 5 by from The Dream Thieves Woot! It was good to get back into this world. It wasn’t quite as mystical as before, but character development, new complications, and different magic make up for it. Character development: I didn’t like Ronan before, but I like him now. Once you start to hang out with him more, as it were, he’s not such a bad guy, after all. I can see that there is so much more to him, so much that is haunting him, what with the loss of both of his parents, his hatred for his older brother and his need to protect his younger one. Also, his strange blessing/curse of an ability, which leads me to Different magic: The cliffhanger from The Raven Boys continues here. He can pull things out of his dreams, but he can’t always control this ability. Some of the things that come out are alive, and not all of them are friendly. In this way, the tone of the story falls more in line with The Raven Boys’ climax. Very visceral and physical. I didn’t mind that so much this time around -- it raised the stakes a bit. New complications: Oh, boy. Where to begin? Adam’s composure is slowly slipping, and it has a lot to do with his ongoing struggle to make ends meet, but it’s also because of the taxing effects of Adam’s new relationship with Cabeswater and his anger that his relationship with Blue is going nowhere. Blue is starting to realize her feelings for Gansey, which is problematic because of that dreaded prophecy. And new villains, since the last one was ever-so-conveniently killed off. What I like about them is that they’re both sort of morally ambiguous. One is a highly intelligent and charismatic hitman with a childhood trauma. His decisions always teeter on the brink of good and evil, and his life is inextricably connected to Ronan’s. The other villain is fellow student asshole who is competitive with Ronan but begins to teach him how to hone his ability. MAJOR SPOILER ALERT BELOW Once again, the villain is conveniently killed off my supernatural events near the end of the book. Stiefvater is a great storyteller, but I don’t think she should make a pattern of this. It seems sort of careless. This death in particular didn’t make much sense, as the character let it happen (and didn’t seem like the sort of person who would do that). My other issue, as I mentioned with TRB, is occasional vague language. Oh, well. New dream magic and mysteries abound, and that, plus those likeable and eccentric characters, make this worth the read.
Date published: 2017-03-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Oh lord This series (The Raven Cycle) is without a doubt my favourite YA series of all time. The writing is flawless, the characters are relatable and real and wonderful and the story is like. whoa. it is insane. it is insanely good. addicting. the kind that you completely lose yourself in as you read and the rest of the real world becomes background noise. The Dream Thieves, in my opinion, focuses more on character building than the rest of them and this is probably why it's my favourite in the series. If you're a fan of fantasy or adventure or (mostly) normal teenage lives or Maggie Stiefvater or just, you know, amazing literature, I highly recommend this book to you. And everyone living on this earth.
Date published: 2017-03-11
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Ronan <3 If you loved Ronan from the Raven boys, this book is up your aisle. It focuses more on him than the other boys and the secret he's been hiding all his life. I didn't like him in the first novel, but Dream Thieves will change your opinion of him. This book made him my favorite character.
Date published: 2017-03-06
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Great I loved this book as much as the first one if not more.
Date published: 2017-02-24
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Excellent second book The characters are developed further and this draws you into the story even more!!! Great read
Date published: 2017-02-16
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Character Development = Love itt this second novel in the series focuses a little more on Ronan, but it seriously was my favorite out the 4 books. The characters bring to develop further and you learn to love all of them.
Date published: 2017-02-07
Rated 3 out of 5 by from The Dream Thieves I feel like I just woke up from a dream. Sliggtly disoriented, like I can't separate reality from fiction. Like I can't remember the exact context of this bizarre dream but I can recollect scattered images and emotions. Bliss. Anger. Agony. Pain. Love. For this series and its raw, complicated and real characters. Maggie Stiefvater is a gifted storyteller, and amazing characterisation isn't all you will get. You get a plot that can carry its own and a writing that leaves you bereft when you're elsewhere, wishing you could return to the story, wishing it was you in the story.
Date published: 2017-01-13
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Loved I think this was a great second installment, and the pacing was excellent. Also loved the insight into Blue's family.
Date published: 2017-01-10
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Loved it! I loved this book! The books moved a lot quicker than the first and you really start to fall in love with the characters.
Date published: 2016-12-29
Rated 5 out of 5 by from loved it just love this book and ronan so much
Date published: 2016-12-28
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Low-key Steamy I was expecting this book to start out slow like the first one but it progressed much faster. Being that it is a sequel, there's much more character development and you really love the characters even more, especially Gansey.
Date published: 2016-12-27
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Best book of the series I love the entire Raven Cycle series, but this is hands down my favourite book of them all and it will always be the most special to me. This book introduces a completely new world of dream magic to the series and focuses on Ronan, and it manages to tell a wonderful standalone arc of his own development and grief and growth, and also fits into the larger story of the series. Love love love.
Date published: 2016-12-15
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Paranormal Read So glad that I continued on with this series, and did my best to finish this book. I did not regret it at all. Although the plot pick up really slowly, it was worth the reading! Cause once you got past the boring part, boom, the good part comes out. Will definitely read the other books in the series
Date published: 2016-12-04
Rated 5 out of 5 by from You need to READ these books!! The “Dream Thieves” by Maggie Stiefvater is book II of the Raven Cycle. This book was even more amazing than the first. What I absolutely LOVE about Maggie Stiefvater’s writing is that her characters feel like real people and that she paints absolutely gorgeous pictures with her prose. I feel like I know these people and I am 100% invested in what happens to all of them. In this book we once again meet up with Gansey and his group of Raven boys – the are still looking for a dead King named Glendower and Blue is right along in the action. The fact that the ley lines are awake changes everything. We find that Adam is dealing with the aftermath of the deal he made with the sentient forest, Cabeswater while also dealing with the problem of not having the money he needs to attend Aglionby. At times I was begging him to accept help, but also understanding why he felt he couldn’t. The curse on Blue that says she will kill her true love if she kisses him begins to actually cause a problem for her. There is now someone that she very much would like to kiss. Noah begins to act in a really creepy fashion – reenacting his own death without even realizing he is doing it. We spend a lot of time with Ronan and learn what it is that he does with dreams. I love all of the characters in the book but I have to say that Ronan might just be my favourite. He has some pretty crazy things to deal with and we find that the dream world is definitely NOT all fun and games. He is definitely a strong character. There is a particularly endearing scene where he cuddles a little mouse – look out for it. It turns out that Gansey is not the only one looking for Glendower. We meet a mysterious hit-man called Mr. Gray who is looking for something called a “Greywaren” and the action definitely picks up in this installment.
Date published: 2016-11-04
Rated 5 out of 5 by from Tbh way better than book 1 I read the first book in three months. I read this book in three days. Personally, I feel like this sequel was wayyyy better than the first book. It looked a lot more into Ronan, the character who bugged me in the first book, but I loved in this book. I loved the way it was written, it felt so real. The whole Kavinsky story-line really hooked me. The characters in this book were literally all super fucked up. Gansey and Blue were the only ones who weren't totally crazy. And Noah, I guess, but hes, you'know dead. I really enjoyed this book.
Date published: 2016-02-10
Rated 3 out of 5 by from A decent sequel Woot! It was good to get back into this world. It wasn’t quite as mystical as before, but character development, new complications, and different magic make up for it. Character development: I didn’t like Ronan before, but I like him now. Once you start to hang out with him more, as it were, he’s not such a bad guy, after all. I can see that there is so much more to him, so much that is haunting him, what with the loss of both of his parents, his hatred for his older brother and his need to protect his younger one. Also, his strange blessing/curse of an ability, which leads me to Different magic: The cliffhanger from The Raven Boys continues here. He can pull things out of his dreams, but he can’t always control this ability. Some of the things that come out are alive, and not all of them are friendly. In this way, the tone of the story falls more in line with The Raven Boys’ climax. Very visceral and physical. I didn’t mind that so much this time around -- it raised the stakes a bit. New complications: Oh, boy. Where to begin? Adam’s composure is slowly slipping, and it has a lot to do with his ongoing struggle to make ends meet, but it’s also because of the taxing effects of Adam’s new relationship with Cabeswater and his anger that his relationship with Blue is going nowhere. Blue is starting to realize her feelings for Gansey, which is problematic because of that dreaded prophecy. And new villains, since the last one was ever-so-conveniently killed off. What I like about them is that they’re both sort of morally ambiguous. One is a highly intelligent and charismatic hitman with a childhood trauma. His decisions always teeter on the brink of good and evil, and his life is inextricably connected to Ronan’s. The other villain is fellow student asshole who is competitive with Ronan but begins to teach him how to hone his ability. MAJOR SPOILER ALERT BELOW Once again, the villain is conveniently killed off my supernatural events near the end of the book. Stiefvater is a great storyteller, but I don’t think she should make a pattern of this. It seems sort of careless. This death in particular didn’t make much sense, as the character let it happen (and didn’t seem like the sort of person who would do that). My other issue, as I mentioned with TRB, is occasional vague language. Oh, well. New dream magic and mysteries abound, and that, plus those likeable and eccentric characters, make this worth the read.
Date published: 2016-01-15
Rated 4 out of 5 by from Perfection in the Form of a Book Holy shit. That book was perfect. One thing I will give Maggie is that she does not suffer from Second Book Syndrome. This one was better than The Raven Boys and I loved that one. Ronan Lynch is one of those characters that could have been butchered and destroyed in any other author's hands, but Maggie gets Ronan and his story is absolutely compelling. I loved the way this was written and I loved seeing Ronan come alive on the page. Because Maggie's story was so real and so imaginative that I actually felt as though I was in the story following along with all the Raven Boys. I was so frustrated with Adam in the last one and for some aspects of this one, but I get it. I get why he wants to be so independent that he won't ask anyone for help or try to rely on anyone for anything. And I almost love him for it. But at the same time, gah!! Just ask for help!! But I think that is me being introspective and taking out the anger I have toward myself on Adam for doing the same thing I would in a similar situation. I love that the romance is there but at the same time isn't there. I believe Maggie talked about how she is writing two love stories in similar fashion and I just... I can't even with how beautiful this story is. I loved all the different twists and turns along the way and I read this in one sitting (two hours) because I was so enthralled with the story and learning Ronan's story. I loved Mr. Gray and his part to play in the story. It was nice to see how everything ended up being intertwined and connected. I thought he was a good character with interesting motives and I am excited to see what is to come of him. One of the things I didn't like was the constant changing of povs because I felt like I never got the full story from one perspective and had to piece together the story on limited information. It works in some instances and I do think it had its merit here, but it was still a little much for me. Overall: 4/5 stars. This might actually be my favourite sequel to any novel ever. Where The Raven Boys set the groundwork for the novels, The Dream Thieves took the opportunity to further delve into the complexities of each character and give a solid basis for the overarching plot of the series.
Date published: 2015-08-16

Editorial Reviews

Praise for The Dream Thieves:* "Richly written and filled with figurative language . . . this story of secrets and dreams, of brothers and of all-too-real magic is an absolute marvel of imagination and an irresistible invitation to wonder." -Booklist, starred review* "Mind-blowingly spectacular . . . The pace is electric, the prose marvelously sure-footed and strong, but it's the complicated characters . . . that meld magic and reality into an engrossing, believable whole." -Kirkus, starred review* "A paranormal thriller . . . this installment [is] more tense and foreboding than its predecessor - and every bit as gripping." -Publishers Weekly, starred review* "Readers who want a moody chill and appreciate an atmospheric turn of phrase . . . will want to spend more time in Henrietta." -School Library Journal, starred review* "An ever more complex web of magical intrigue and heartstopping action . . . Plot and pacing are perfect, and there are just enough threads plucked from the weave to stimulate breathless desire for the sequel." -Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, starred review