The Minnesota Legislature of 1911

Paperback | February 5, 2012

byLynn Haines

not yet rated|write a review
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1911. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER I. ABOUT THE PLUNDERBUND. I paused here on the threshold of the story to sharpen my pencil. That operation was productive of more than a pencil point; it suggested a view point from which to approach this study of the session. As I whittled with my humble blade, I wondered about the 708 pocket knives bought by the last legislature. Although naturally not suspicious, I dropped into speculation as to whether or not that number of knives was actually purchased; and I further reflected as to whether it would be more unpatriotic to purchase only a semi-legitimate number--enough to supply each of the 120 House members and 63 senators--and have the people pay for 708, or actually to buy 708 and apportion S2S of them among the pockets of petty politicians. Were as many bought as were paid for? If so, where did they go? Who profited by the profligacy? It was not alone a matter of knives, it was everything--fountain pens, 499 of them at an average cost of $3.13, and other items in proportionate price and quantity. Did this situation represent graft or only the grossest extravagance? I shall not attempt to answer, but will open the portals of plunder and let you wander among the facts and figures to your own conclusion. BY THE SECBETABY OF STATE. When the session assembled each member found upon his desk a large pasteboard box containing a great variety of things--some stationery, a knife, fountain pen, paste, ink, etc., etc. The vouchers for this assortment, known legislatively as "the batch," conveyed the information that the purchases were made by the Secretary of State and "authorized by law." "The batch" for both branches included 282 fountain pens--a hundred more than sufficient to supply the members--and 288 pocket knives. It is only justice to the Ch...

Pricing and Purchase Info

$27.95

Out of stock online

From the Publisher

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1911. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER I. ABOUT THE PLUNDERBUND. I paused here on the threshold of the story to sharpen my pencil. That operation was product...

Format:PaperbackDimensions:72 pages, 9.69 × 7.44 × 0.15 inPublished:February 5, 2012Publisher:General Books LLCLanguage:English

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:

ISBN - 10:0217091296

ISBN - 13:9780217091299

Look for similar items by category:

Customer Reviews of The Minnesota Legislature of 1911

Reviews